Problems with Permissions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac - 2.8GHz, 3GB RAM
Hello,

I've been on a Mac for a few years now, but have never really dug to deep into anything. I am trying to setup Apache, PHP, etc. on here, but am running into problems with permissions.

When I bought this iMac (w/ Leopard), I had transfered my accounts over from my old PowerBook G4. Since then, I've noted that I don't have permissions like I should has an administrator. (I deleted the original account on here w/o realizing that could do harm.)

One example when I try to edit the Hosts file in the Private/Etc folder. Even though I select the file and "Get Info" and set all permissions to Read & Write, I STILL get a message telling me I don't have permission to save the file. How do I correct this? I am familiar with terminal, but opening the program is the extent of my knowledge.

I tried to use the Reset Password program off the Leopard disk and made a new password for the root. All that did was create a new area in the login screen as "other user." (Now I can't get rid of that because it doesn't show up in the accounts window!?)

I appreciate any help you all can give me.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Just hit the lock on the bottom of the get info page...enter password...and add "you" to permission list...and bingo...it's yours.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac - 2.8GHz, 3GB RAM
Just hit the lock on the bottom of the get info page...enter password...and add "you" to permission list...and bingo...it's yours.

I'm not in front of my computer now since I'm at work and on a PC, so forgive my asking...

Is there a spot to add another user, specifically me, within the Get Info window? Also, as I mentioned before, when I click the lock, enter my password, and change the permissions for all three listed, it does not seem to save my settings after a restart.

Reaction score
Admin permissions help

I am so sorry to leeching on you're thread but I have no clue as to how to make my own, but I have a similar however more serious problem I believe. The details are as follows:

Today, as I was messing around with my settings I accidentally went to
to Macintosh HD --> Get Info --> Sharing & Permissions. I am the
administrator of the macbook pro (2010 version-entry level) and now the
settings have been changed to:
System ----Read & Write
Admin -----Read
Everyone --No access

As I have a password set to the mac, I am unable to change any settings
due to the fact that admin is under read. Therefore it doesn't even
allow me to enter my password when I press the little lock on the
right-hand corner. It just unlocks and relocks.

Could someone please advise me as to how I can get this fixed asap?

Thanks and the help is much appreciated,
sammy94221

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.