Recommend a mouse that works well with OSX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a mouse that will meet these criteria (in order of importance). I have already eliminated microsoft and logitech out of the equation (more on this later).

1. Software lets you adjust the mouse acceleration curve or at least flattens out the horrid default OSX one.

2. Middle clicking is functional. I.E. middle click will open up a new tab in FF, also, middle clicking on a blank area will let you move up or down from the point where you middle clicked depending on where you move the cursor.

3. Everything else you would want in a mouse: good sensitivity, ergonomic (I'm right handed) durable etc.

Reasons I ask:

I use a microsoft intellimouse which is perfect, except occasionally when my mac wakes from sleep, the pointer does not correspond at all well with my movement - it is like frames are being dropped. It feels similar to using a wireless mouse whose batteries are going dead. Unplugging and replugging solves the problem. However, I would like to solve the problem instead of just putting up with it. Besides, if another person uses the computer who isn't familiar with this workaround, it can be an excruciatingly frustrating experience. Is this problem common to all microsoft mice? If not, I might look microsoft.

Next I tried Logitech. I tried an optical mouse and an mx510, and both acted the same. I couldn't change the acceleration curve using Logitech's software (already bad enough) and additionally, middle click functionality is non-existent. The software treats a middle click like a regular click (a real deal breaker). The software is very simple and does not offer many options. Logitech is out of the question.

Where should I look? I have heard good things about Kensington; anyone want to share their experience? Perhaps USB overdrive would give me complete control? Anyone with experience here? What other mice should I consider?

BTW I am using a mac mini with os 10.5 leopard.

Thank you very much for your help!
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.