KDE 4 is out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Kall me a Luddite, but I liked the look of KDE 3.5 a lot better!

...yes, it is an intentional misspelling! :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Installing Kubuntu 7.10 on Parallels at the moment. I take it I should be able to install the update via system updates? I've seen screen shots and it looks pretty sweet.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Yep I am currently installing it in ubuntu right now. Hopefully it works. You have to add a repository and then download via synaptic. I cant wait!!! It seems alot easier to do in gnome then KDE 3.5. I wonder if the widgets are as good???
mac 57: Why do you like 3.5 better?Just curious. Please don't destroy my loom :p

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Woo Hoo!!! Got it running. Way simpler to setup then Gnome or KDE 3.5. I had to install Adobe Flash player and this is the first time I was able to do it without opening a terminal. It's very sleek. The widgets are very nice too!!
*edit*
Well It crashed. It worked great the first time and now wont work at all. Back to the drawing board. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac 57: Why do you like 3.5 better?Just curious. Please don't destroy my loom :p

It is just a personal taste thing, and it is probably something you can change. KDE has always been VERY configurable. I simply don't like the dominance of really dark colors. Vista is like this too. KDE 3.x's dominant blue'ish tones were/are very appealing to me personally.

I am sure you can change 4.0 to be Blue again, but the default that I see in the screen caps doesn't appeal to me. As silly as it seems, one of the things I have never liked about Gnome is also color related: the dominance of earth tones. I just don't like the look.

Also, I HEAR that KDE 4.0 is mostly an "under the hood" release - huge changes internally, but only basic stuff externally (visible). All of the Linux mags I read say that we need to wait for a 4.1 or a 4.2 to start seeing the benefit of all the tinkering that has gone on "under the hood".

Finally however, I worry that KDE is simply getting too big and too bloated. 3.5.7 still moves pretty well on my 3.0 GHz machines, but as they add more and more, they seem to be tending towards the Microsoft model of "bigger is better". This is distressing.

Even good 'ol XFCE is getting fatter and slower. At the moment, my favorite desktop environment for Linux is the combination of XFCE4 with Rox Filer for the desktop. I manually edit the startup files to eliminate the XFCE4 desktop and lots of other stuff and put Rox in its place. The net result is lightening fast, even on slower machines. Rox is a darn capable desktop and file manager.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just FYI to anyone attempting to install Kubuntu under Parallels to try out KDE 4 (as I mentioned in my previous post), it's not straightforward. The instructions for doing so are available here.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well mac57, I see your point. 3.5 does seem more bloated. But this version of KDE seems surprisingly minimalistic. maybe when 4.1 comes it will be bloated. i still dont understand why they keep including Konquerer. Its a terrible browser in my opinion

On a side note I finally got it running smoothly. There are still a few bugs but I am working on them.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wish I could say the same. I installed it according to the instructions out on the Kubuntu support page, but it seems like the old version is still there when I logged out and logged back in.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well mac57, I see your point. 3.5 does seem more bloated. But this version of KDE seems surprisingly minimalistic. maybe when 4.1 comes it will be bloated. i still dont understand why they keep including Konquerer. Its a terrible browser in my opinion

On a side note I finally got it running smoothly. There are still a few bugs but I am working on them.

Congrats on getting it running smoothly. I hope you enjoy it!

Konqueror? I agree, not a great browser, but it is a terrific file manager (and FTP client). I really like it frankly.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem. I hope you get it working! Also one major bug that bothered me was that the package manager is missing Smart Package manager. I ran sudo apt-get install smartpm-core in terminal to get it to work and everything else went great. It's pretty bare bones so a package manager is very helpful
Good Luck!

Thanks mac57. I like konquerer as a file browser too. Just not an internet browser

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.