is a powerbook g5 on the way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
I'm almost for sure going to be switching to a powerbook from my desktop PC, but I want to know if anyone has any idea if Apple will release a G5 powerbook in the near future that would make it worth the wait.
Should I go ahead and get a G4 or should I wait it out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
You only need to ask once. No there isnt a g5 powerbook coming out anytime soon, the issues are all about heating and cooling. Besides if there was a g5 powerbook, i'd at least want a dualg5, which i dont think is likely to happen.

L

ldj

I was asking the same question myself. As a matter of fact i just ordered my Powerbook 17" today I've been using desktop PC's since i was 7, thats about 10 years. After using my bros iBook i realised how **** PC is :D
About the G5 Powerbook: I asked around the forums and the guy at the shop, he said that it is very hard to fit the G5 into a laptop for these reasons:
1) Processor is quite big
2) If they do fit it in a laptop there will be no DUAL processor, and the G5 standard 1.6Ghz doesnt have a lot of performace difference compared to a g4 1.5 (thats what the guy said)
3) Eventhough they fit a g5 into an iMac theres ALOT and ALOT of cooling, and if you put cooling like this into a notebook it will eat ur battery in 30 min.

I guess it will take minimum a year to develop all these aspects, and even when they do the price will be very high. So if u get a PB g4 now u can still use it for 2 or 3 more years (even more prolly) and wait till the prices drop for the Powerbook g5 if that ever comes out.

Im getting my Powerbook G4 in 3 weeks, and i cant wait to convert ;)

P

PowerbookG417

as it sits right now the G4 powerbook has 2 fans to create a cooling pattern...they just release the G5 imac where the compressed everything down to 2"...thats FAR off the half an inch of a powerbook...so dont expect anything for atleast a year !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The answer is no.

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
That's kind of what I figured, I just wanted to ask so that 6 months down the road I'm not wishing I'd waited.

Sorry also about the multiple instances of the thread...

M

MickMAC

And I think I would rather have a proven powerbook g4 then a first round g5, I don't ever want to be a test subject for $3000...

Buy the g4 now use it for 2yrs and then upgrade to the g5 after a few rounds of revisions...

M

MoltenLava

Since we are in the mood for speculation, I'd say Powerbook G5 is about 6 months away. It'll be based on the mobile G5, which is not the same G5 used by the desktops, and there won't be cooling issues. Mobile G5 will have smaller cache, and slower core speed. The performance will be between current G4 Powerbook and iMac G5. It will have very good power management built in, so expect the battery life to be 4 - 5 hours.

M

m1k

Whoa... First Apple shocked us by making the consumer-level iMac more powerful than the professional-level PowerBook, and now even the revamped G5 PowerBook line isn't going to be as powerful as the iMacs?

That's some serious ****ed up **** right there.

Thread starter: Just get the G4 PowerBook now, Apple has stated again and again that G5 PowerBooks are a long ways away. You still get quite a lot of power from the G4 processor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.