PowerBook question:

Reaction score
I'm a complete newbie on this subject: I'm looking to purchase my first ever laptop. I need one for school and a simple media project I'm going to be working on. I've asked a couple of friends about the current crop of Macbooks, but he suggested getting a second-hand PowerBook with decent specs for half the price.

Right now I'm looking to buy a PowerBook G4 12". My question is this: is the memory upgradeable? And if so, how do I go about doing it? Just go into a Mac Store? Obviously I'm not knowledgeable on the subject, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
If you're going to invest money in a used PowerBook, I'd at least go for a G5. With a G4, you're at least 3 processor revisions behind (C2D, CD, G5, maybe others?).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G
If you're going to invest money in a used PowerBook, I'd at least go for a G5. With a G4, you're at least 3 processor revisions behind (C2D, CD, G5, maybe others?).

There is no PowerBook G5. The PowerBook line ended with the G4 processor. The next upgrade was the MacBook Pro with the Intel processors.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.