• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Heath Ledger found dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Dimitri
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
If that's true, then why do half the posts in this thread make it out like he's one of the best actors to ever come out of Hollywood?
That's exaggerating a bit. People who were FANS of his acting are going to point out how they think he was good/great/whatever. I wouldn't have posted this if I thought he was a HACK. People tend to think of the good parts of people after they're gone, mostly out of respect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHzCoreDuo 160Gb
It really shocked me, I´m nearly 28 and people in that age don´t die from one day to the other. I wasn´t a fan actually and maybe he wasn´t the best actor but I liked him cause he was really handsome and had no bad headlines and he wasn´t lucky in pickin´ chicks. He was just 28.

Reaction score
Boo to me, I know...
It's a sad thing for his daughter to now be fatherless. But I don't get caught up in celeb news. Celebs are no different than you or I. I don't feel any more sorry for him than any other person who has left a kid behind.
We don't start a thread for everyone that dies. I don't see why this was started.

I agree almost completely. I choose not to follow some celebrity news, because frankly, to me, it's mostly revolting. It sickens me how some of these young people live their life. They do drugs, drink, party, dress like a (insert word here) completely ignorant to the fact that young people everywhere look up to them. The only celebrity news I want to hear is when a celebrity does something GOOD. I think that if you are going to be in the media all over the world, don't act like human trash. It seems like these days the word "celebrity" is meaningless. I don't understand why some celebrities end up with all the money in the world, when to be honest, most of them don't deserve it. If I had millions of dollars just laying around, I wouldn't be frolicing through the streets drunk and doing drugs and flashing my areas all over town, I would be doing something I actually wouldn't regret later. Just because someone comes up with the excuse that they are "Young and Stupid" doesn't make acceptable. Sure, we all do stupid things, but we dont make a living out of it. I think all celebrities should settle it down and quit acting like laws don't apply to them. Is it fair that a celebrity who regularly does nothing, contributes nothing to society, and has polluted the media, has billions of dollars, while there are children in third world countries who don't have the access to food and clean water? I don't think so. They say Money is Power, well, celebrities have the power, but they are abusing it. Not to make a bad stereotype that ALL celebrities are this way, and i'm not implying anything about Heath Ledger (at least not until the results come back), but i think Bry kept it short and sweet (unlike I am) and wise. I have NO sympathy for people who choose to end their own life when they have kids to take care of. Sure you can argue that nobody knows what depression feels like unless you have suffered with it. Well I have, and i'm still here. I don't think there is any excuse to take your life when you signed a virtual contract at the instant a child was conceived.
If Heath Ledger really did comit suicide, than I will lose any and all respect for him. If he didn't, and it really was an "accidental overdose" or whatever they are saying in the media, that's another thing, and I guess people should be more careful when taking their pills. Recently, my doctor gassed himself in his own home because of his divorce. His ex wife and 3 kids aged 6-16 found him dead in his garage. I think that's selfish and sick. Did he think about how much of a wreck his kids and ex wife would be? Probably not. I've talked to the kids and ex wife, they are distraught and angry.

Back to my point, i TRULY hope this wasn't a suicide, and even if it was an accidental overdose, it was still a death that should not have happened.
Do I think this thread was appropriate? Yes. In fact I made a thread about the same thing before I realized one had already been created. I don't know about the OP, but MY reason for writing the thread was his child. I was a little bit of a fan, I liked some of his stuff, but his death somewhat pollutes all of that.

I didn't do this out of respect for Heath Ledger, I did this for the little girl who has to live the rest of her life, possibly upset, angry, and traumatized about the death of her father. SHES going to have to suffer the consequences of her father. Hopefully she doesn't end up getting raised off of her fathers money and actually has a father figure in her life. It's her I feel sorry for. I don't see depression as an excuse, because it can be beat.

Everyone touches someone in their life, and it's those people who REALLY suffer when someone one decides to take their own life.

OP
Dimitri
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I don't know about the OP, but MY reason for writing the thread was his child.
This may sound harsh, but I personally didn't write this for him, his child, his family, friends, etc. I wrote it because it was newsworthy and I enjoyed his acting. I only know him as an actor. Whether he was a jerk in real life is moot. It's sad of course, regardless of whether he committed suicide or not, for the whole family. But I'm not saying he was a good guy, just a good actor. I wasn't trying to make a Eulogy thread or anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You last sentence is frankly *ridiculous isn't it, considering this forum is specifically to talk about literally anything.

Quite true, we all have the ability to post whatever we want in "Anything Goes" but there is an invisible line that divides a worthy post and one that isn't. I am not saying this is a unworthy topic because others have cared enough to post, I couldn't see myself starting this topic.
It's hard for me to understand how an actor in a movie could truly "touch my life" as you put it. Did your minute/ hour/ day/ life change after you heard the news?

Reaction score
Who cares, they already made the Dark Knight. That's the important part. Celebrity infatuation sickens me. Sorry, I probably won't shed a tear of a dead actor who had millions. Anyone hear about the thousands of people that die every day in other countries or the thousands of people who die in countries like ours because of inaccessibility to health insurance? More tragic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
yes the rest of my day changed actually, maybe its because i live near him, or maybe everybody else here just wants to pass his death off as some random incident just because he was famous..

what if the little girl was not the little girl, what if she was you, and your dad died. would you be so harsh telling the world the only reason why people think he was great was because he died? What if one day (because we all know this thread isn't going any where) she decides she wants to google her dad.. when shes 10, or 15, and starts reading all the threads devoted to her dad after he died, do you want her reading what you guys wrote? what about his family who is old enough to read? what if they stumble on here tomorrow, would you want them to read what you wrote? I think this thread has gotten out of control saying that he's only great because he died and the way nobody here seams to care... if you don't care, don't post here.. if I was a mod, I would have closed this thread a long time ago... but I guess thats why I am not given that responsibility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You're obviously in a different situation if you live near him. You may have met him or had some sort of connection with him.
What if? I don't expect everyone to like me. I don't know of anyone who has zero enemies or have only positive qualities so that no one could say anything bad about them, ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHzCoreDuo 160Gb
Who cares, they already made the Dark Knight. That's the important part. Celebrity infatuation sickens me. Sorry, I probably won't shed a tear of a dead actor who had millions. Anyone hear about the thousands of people that die every day in other countries or the thousands of people who die in countries like ours because of inaccessibility to health insurance? More tragic.

That´s for shure...but you don´t see single person then, you know? With that guy it is like you have a face...I was a hugh fan of aaliyah, not cause of her music but of her look and her way she treated the people around her, the way she was (ok, that what you saw/heard about her how she was) or like Diana, Barry White, Johnny Cash, Kurt Cobain, River Phönix aso these people where famous for the things they did, not actually cause of how many records they sold or how many movies they made but they touched other people with what they´ve done and thats why "we" are sad about when they´re gone. Sorry, I did not know the woman next door which died a few days ago, is that a reason to say I don´t care?...I feel sorry for her and her family in the same way like for all the other´s out there who died or who lost someone in a tragical way.

OP
Dimitri
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Anyone hear about the thousands of people that die every day in other countries or the thousands of people who die in countries like ours because of inaccessibility to health insurance?
Yes. In the news. All the time.

More tragic.
Yes, and sadly, there are stories that are even more tragic than that. Does that make it not worth mentioning or talking about? Hardly. Look at all the trivial garbage that gets put on the news or posted on forums. Is it really important? Probably not, but if it's enjoyable to discuss then we do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.