Strange sleep/screen issue - Clamshell - Hardware or Software Issue - Need help

Reaction score
I'll try to explain this the best I can:
466 SE Clamshell running OSX 10.4
Battery is somewhat tired.
When I put it to sleep on battery power, it behaves normally with the screen up or down (display sleeps as well as hard drive & cd/dvd) in up & down mode.
When I put it to sleep under AC power, it behaves normally with the screen up...
However, when I put the screen down, it does the opposite of sleeping. The screen comes on, and the CD/DVD drive becomes active. Not a full spin as it does with a disk, but it's as though it's either trying to read a disk that isn't there, or it's trying to eject over and over, but the tray never ejects. A buzz, then a 'chunk' (eject sound), then a buzz, then a 'chunk', etc.
Obviously this is a condition that's not good. Screen on when closed and a constant drive read or eject command.
I've reset the PMU with no success, but haven't tried anything else.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
J.P.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes. I can't remember exactly what for - maybe as deep as replacing the logic board. (I have a couple of these clamshells that I've delved into)
I've at least been in deep enough to replace the hard drive on this machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.