Can´t empty trash...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHzCoreDuo 160Gb
I don´t know what happened...it tells me that the trash is in use...Downloaded firefox cause of some prob with hotmail. Can not eject from my desktop...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
maybe you are using firefox from the mounted image instead of the installed APP?

Also try the secure trash empty choice from finder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This happens from time to time, for reasons I am not sure of. When I run into this, I just reboot. Then I can empty the trash and all is well again. I don't know what the root cause is, nor what the REAL solution is, but this work around does me fine. If it happened a lot, this would be annoying, but it only happens once every few months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
One of your apps is running and using something you put in the trash. Make sure you've copied files from anything you've ejected or haven't accidentally put a necessary file in there. Check that and if you can't figure it out quit all your apps and try again. If that still doesn't work simply reboot and empty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
a) Reboot

b) Quit all apps and try again

c) Use THIS. :)

It's a Force Empty Trash

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHzCoreDuo 160Gb
as I started it today it was okay, all the crap was ejected from my desktop and I removed firefox. Someone told me that it runs better with that crap but safari is doing a better job...cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D, 1 GB ram, 120GB HD
this happened to me once, then i called apple. they told me to hold down the alt/option key and then click on "empty trash". worked like a miracle!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.