Waking Display from Deep Sleep

Reaction score
...i know this issue has been around for a while in the MAC community with no "real" reasons or solutions but, hopefully you guys/girls can help me out with my problem.

First off i have experienced this problem in both OSX.4.11 and OSX.5.1 so it is not just a Leopard problem. The issue only started after a processor upgrade...so i am sure that is part of the problem. The problem is more of an annoyance than a genuine problem, but a problem just the same.

Background info... My MAC is an original 2001 Quicksilver G4 867 GHz[which i have owned since new] and is truly a workhorse, never giving any real problems even while working long nights on projects.... i recently upgraded to a NewerTech Dual processor 1.73 GHz 7448 G4 and i have NO complaints other than the inability to sleep...or rather, wake from sleep I have searched countless forums, websites, googled this subject to death and can not find any concrete answers AND PLEASE dont just tell me avoid sleeping - the issue is upon waking from sleep, the cpu and fans come alive but the Display doesnt. I have reset PRAM/NVRAM, done a clean install of my OS on a zeroed HD, removed aftermarket PCI cards to no prevail. Anything i am missing. Any opinions or answers [other than avoiding sleep] is appreciated. THANK YOU- Aaron

OP
ACORN
Reaction score
forgot to add...per a conversation with a NewerTech Technician - i replaced my stock graphics card with an ATi 9000 Pro 128mb MAC edition card and still the problem persists....:Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I have a CPU upgrade and put the machine to sleep from the Apple Menu and have until recently also used the ATI Radeon 9000 128MB Mac edition. It will sleep if left unattended, but after 15 minutes goes into a 'heavy sleep' mode such as when put to sleep from Apple Menu, power liught on Apple LCD goes off.

The only way to wake is by hitting the on/off button briefly, fans startup, display light comes on and away we go.

Have read that a USB 2 PCI card installed prevents sleep altogether but you have removed it.

OP
ACORN
Reaction score
I have a CPU upgrade and put the machine to sleep from the Apple Menu and have until recently also used the ATI Radeon 9000 128MB Mac edition. It will sleep if left unattended, but after 15 minutes goes into a 'heavy sleep' mode such as when put to sleep from Apple Menu, power liught on Apple LCD goes off.

The only way to wake is by hitting the on/off button briefly, fans startup, display light comes on and away we go.

Have read that a USB 2 PCI card installed prevents sleep altogether but you have removed it.

Since the problem persisted and i'd rather, at the very least, be able to transfer files a a much faster rate, i recently reinstalled my USB 2.0 card [only after trying everything to aleviate the sleep issues] - with the new cpu upgrade i have never experienced any problems putting the computer to sleep, whether manually or timed, its the waking up part where i am having the issues, i have noticed that if i try to wake up the computer by hitting a key, the computer comes on [fans start up], external firewire peripherals [2 dvd/cd burners and an external hardrive] turn on and then my mouse loses power:eek: ....any thoughts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Guess ACORN we have to just tolerate hitting the power button briefly to awaken the Macs. Like my Dell laptop when in hibernation mode I guess - again brief touch of the power button there also.

OP
ACORN
Reaction score
Guess ACORN we have to just tolerate hitting the power button briefly to awaken the Macs. Like my Dell laptop when in hibernation mode I guess - again brief touch of the power button there also.

i'll try that next time and let you know how that works out... thanx for the input though. I hope that maybe one day Apple will see the 1000's of posts on this subject and put together a team to actually study AND SOLVE this issue - it seems if there is one thing i have learned from all this researching is - there is no clear answers at all - wellllll..... hopefully 10.5.2 has something....i heard its gonna be a "biggie"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.