Help, my tower wont turn on

Reaction score
G5 dual 2.0, 4+ years old

Here's the symptoms:

-It makes the usual loud startup sound when I hit the power button but the only thing it does is make the power button flash on my cinema display.

-The fan sounds like it's going to take off into space. Way louder than it normally is.

Please don't tell me I need to purchase a new one.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like you have a power supply/logic board problems. Can you try the display connected to something else?

I would have it checked out rather than just replaced. Perhaps a replacement of the internal battery may be a worthwhile exercise just in case.

OP
Red 5
Reaction score
Thanks.

It was suggested to me that I try another monitor. I'll get on that soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Try the lithium battery first as harryb2448 says

its the cheapest replacement part there is, and a 4 years old computer makes me suspect that as the culprit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Check your serial number against this list in the recall program. See if it wouldn't be included: if it is you should get a free repair.

Good luck. :)

That was going to be my suggestion. The G5's have faulty power supplies. But it is only the later models that are a part of the recall program. It sounds like you might own a first generation 2GHz DP G5. If so, it's most likely not covered.

OP
Red 5
Reaction score
Thanks for that recall information. But mine is not covered as it was the first model release.

Now it isn't even showing up on the network. Could it be a bad hard drive?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.