How do I format a Mac hard drive?

Reaction score
How do I format a Mac hard drive? - SOLVED

It seems simple but I am running into a lot of trouble. I am trying to format a mac hard drive for a power macintosh g3 powerpc which is running MacOS 9.1. I do not have the original installation CD. I do have an installation CD for MacOS 9.2.2 but everytime I put it in, the CD drive just spits it back out. I don't need to use the computer, I just need to wipe the data before donating the box.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Is the 9.2.2 a system restore disc (grey) or a full install (Black) which is what you need. In 9.1 can you go to Disk Utility, select the HDD and hit the 'Erase' button?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Can you copy the G3's system folder and a copy of disk utility on to a CD with Toast and make your own bootable CD?

Or copy the system folder on to an external

M

MacHeadCase

Is the 9.2.2 a system restore disc (grey) or a full install (Black) which is what you need. In 9.1 can you go to Disk Utility, select the HDD and hit the 'Erase' button?

Harry, the grey and black disks are OS X only. OS 9 and earlier were white disks like this:

attachment.php

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe the application to use is called disk first aid.

M

MacHeadCase

Yep rman, in OS 9 and earlier, Apple's disk utility was indeed called Disk First Aid and the icon was a speeding ambulance or something, if I recall correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11
I forget if it was a replacement or an extra, but there was an app called drive setup in OS9 that I used to use
It does sound like the OS9 disc you have won't boot that mac so if it has a cd burner what louishen suggested does sound very feasible. Just make sure you put the app for erasing the drive on the cd/hd aswell as the system folder

Reaction score
You can use Drive setup to reformat the drive or just take it out and donate
the box.. I saw a G3 desktop at the thrift store the other day...$8.02 most
are going into the dumpster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes of course they are. Silly me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.