Thunderbird is under "Devices" in Finder - should I move it to Applications?

24z

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20"(Jan.2008)
I'm going to move Thunderbird from PC to my new and shiny iMac with Leopard. Mozilla says in their instructions on moving the Profile folder to Mac, that normally TB should be under Applications in Finder.

Should I move it ? :(
is it possible to move by dragging into "Applications" inside the Finder ?

Or is it better to uninstall TB(it's only few days in use and basically no emails) and install again ?
But than again, I have no idea how to see where it's being installed ?
In Windows it was simple. In Mac I don't see nothing what's happening every stage of installation.:Angry:
I also don't know what is the best way to Uninstall Thunderbird, if this what i have to do ?
I downloaded this little application called "AppDelete" which is well rated.
Can I use it ?

Thanks!

M

MacHeadCase

If Thunderbird is listed in the devices, then it's a sign you have not properly installed it and are running it from the .dmg.

Quit Thunderbird. Go to the mounted Thunderbird volume that should be mounted on your desktop. There should be an icon of the application in there. Take it and drag it the to Applications folder.

When it has copied in the Applications folder, unmount the .dmg volume by right-clicking and selecting Eject.

Now when you want to run Thunderbird, go to your Applications folder and double-click it. That's the way to install an application from a mounted . dmg.

The problem is you're still thinking as a Windoze user. You have to forget what there used to be and focus on what is now. Mac OS X will never work as a Windoze clone: it is different and you should not ask it to be any different. If you do stay stuck on this, you'll never be able to enjoy the switch and will end up getting rid of your Mac.

OP

24z

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20"(Jan.2008)
DONE!
Big Thank you MacHeadCase!

Now how should I place TB back on the Dock ?

while I was writing this, an application called NoteMind suddenly placed itself in the dock. I previously tried to uninstall it with AppDelete, and I thought it was gone. When I place the cursor over it, TB appeared.
I checked the Finder - TB was back in Devices( I ejected it before).
I Quit the TB and then removed from the Dock and ejected from devices.
Looks like it's ok for now.

I guess i was doing everything wrong?

Don't get me wrong, I love the new experience of MacWorld. totally different and superior to windows. It's truly piece of art.

Thanks!

M

MacHeadCase

If ever you want to get rid of aliases in the dock, just grab the icon and drag it off the dock (watch the smoke!).

To install an alias in the dock, go to your Applications folder, grab the app's icon and drop it in the dock (on the left side of the dock's divider).

You have just created an alias that has a direct link to the application itself and can activate/launch it without having to go directly to the Applications folder to double-click it. :)

OP

24z

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20"(Jan.2008)
There is something else, when I double clicked TB in Applications, it immediately jumped back to devices. I ejected it again, and it's still in applications now. Under the file Kind says 'alias'.
What should be fixed here and how please ?

THANKS!!!

M

MacHeadCase

Did you restart? This sometimes helps the system wack itself back into shape when it's daydreaming and not paying attention. :D

I can't explain why the .dmg would remount itself again. Are you sure you grabbed the correct icon? Not from a duplicate or something?

OP

24z

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20"(Jan.2008)
no, didn't do that yet, but will do after this one.
I also forgot to tell, that when i double clicked TB in applications, this installation window showed up asking me to install TB.
;-)..but TB is already there.
should I do this anyway?
And what the proper procedure to install ?
I know the first part - to drag it to the Right. What's the correct process after that ?

BTW, I did drag it to the right, but nothing happened, so i dragged it back to the left ;-) and closed the window.

thanks!!!

M

MacHeadCase

Ok this is so messy, you're going around in circles here.

Delete everything called Thunderbird now and download it again from the Mozilla website and start from scratch following the install procedure I posted in my first post in here.

Double-click the installer and work with that fresh copy in the mounted temporary volume.

Restart first though before installing again, you need to clear the system first.

OP

24z

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20"(Jan.2008)
Thanks again MacHeadCase, I appreciate your help ;-)

What is best way to find everything with name "thunderbird" and where ?
Can I use AppDelete for this or just the Trash basket ?

Another thing, not clear to me the installation by dragging an icon from left to the right into the application folder. I remember it was like that with Thunderbird, this window popped up and asked me to move it from left to right.
How should I do that correctly, step by step, if you don't mind please ?

THANKS!!!;-)

M

MacHeadCase

I'm not familiar with Thunderbird so if it comes with its own uninstaller, use that instead. But if it doesn't, AppDelete ought to work. I know that Mozilla installs a lot of files everywhere. Hopefully AppDelete will be able to catch them all.

OP

24z

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20"(Jan.2008)
what do you use for email ? Apple's Mail ?

OP

24z

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20"(Jan.2008)
Is it free ?
I can't figure out...when I was registering my iMac I signed up for .mac service trial. I thought that is the Mail program. Turns out it's a service.
If so, I gonna use Mail as well. Goodbye thunderbird!
I guess it's better to use everything from Apple, because they are all so well integrated.
I also love the iWork 08'. I'll get it. Do you have this one ?

Back to getting rid of TB, what should I move to AppDelete, the TB file from Applications folder ? And then to use the "spotlight' to find leftovers ?

THANKS!

Reaction score
Mail is free. You can use Mail with any compatible email (gmail, paid yahoo, etc.) When you pay for the .Mac subscription you are paying for a .mac email address (similar to Gmail), among MANY other things. More on that Here.

iWork is a nice tool because it has classic OSX beauty with Office functionality (for the most part). I would suggest it unless you need specific things that can only be accomplished through MS Office.

As for getting rid of TB, just drop Thunderbird.app onto AppDelete and go through the notifications and everything should be done.

OP

24z

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20"(Jan.2008)
bye bye thunderbird! ThankYouApple for beautiful things!

Yes, Yes,..I already realized that.
And the iWork is absolutely stunning piece of design!
Who needs Microsoft office or Word.. these are gorillas!
Really, even a journalist and a writer don't need them. iWork is more than enough for 90% of computer users, which is today probably 90% of the population.
I've just set up Mail. When I saw what it does and how it does, and the features, and the beautiful design, the speed...I couldn't stop laughing from amaziment.
Those guys who work at Apple from the bottom to the top are very special people, super talented, the best brains with artistic souls. Steve Jobs has done and doing an outstanding job here.
to tell the truth, it's better this way, when only limited number of the population uses Macs. Otherwise Apple would grow and grow to become a gorilla too.

THANK YOU APPLE FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.