Metal Keyboard Static Shock

Reaction score
We have two 24Imac's that we are presently running. Several times throughout the day we get shocked when touching the metal keyboard. I purchased a antistatic chairmat - but the shocks continue. Has anyone experienced the same and found a solution?

Thanks!

Reaction score
that just happened to me yesterday... it kind of scared me..

Maybe you could get one of those clear plastic chair mats to roll your chair on?

M

MacHeadCase

Wow! What a strange problem you both have!

I keep getting electric shocks in the apartment, stepping out of cars, etc. all the time (and man, do I ever HATE it!!!) but so far so good with the wired Alu keyboard. Although we do have hardwood floors, no carpet.

Do you use the wireless or wired model?

Are your floors covered in carpet? That would indeed increase electrical build-up...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I've been noticing that problem too. I have a plastic chairmat but it doesn't make a different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Laws of physics. Other than getting a plastic keyboard (or maybe a humidifer) then there's not much you can do.

OP
H
Reaction score
I bought a anti static chairmat - did not do much. I really like the aluminum keyboard - aside from the shock factor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
I use the aluminum keyboard every day at work and I've never been shocked.

Have you tried picking up your feet when you walk? ;) That's what always gets me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Shocking iMac

Yes me and several co-workers and friends I know have the same problem on the metal keyboard, I switched to a plastic G3 Mac Keyboard but the metal case of the CPU still shocks me if I get to close to it, this seems to be a common problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
I have the aluminum keyboard and never got a shock. Maybe the difference is that I don't wear shoes in the house so with just my socks on with a carpeted floor you can't get shocks. Try removing your shoes on the carpet where the computer sits.

Reaction score
We bought a couple of Macs last year and have been experiencing 'static' shocks from the iMac's metal keyboard. It is more of a continuous shock though, as if it needs to be earthed. The same applies to the actual CPU/screen's metal surround. This, when touched, vibrates electrically, again as if there is a problem with the earthing wires. We have been using one of those keyboard "zCovers" purchased from the Apple store which helps me but the kids just toss this aside as typing is such a drag with it on.
My MacBook Pro also has that electrical vibration to its metal casing!

We have ceramic tiled flooring, no rugs or carpets and always walk barefoot - we're still 'shocked'.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.