MacBook not mounting my NTFS external hard drive!!

Reaction score
I have exhausted every possible forum and support avenue available to me and I am unable to find an answer to my problem.

I have a 320gb USB external hard drive that works fine on my crappy Windows laptop and also works fine on my housemates iMac (running OSX Tiger). I plug the hard drive in to my brand spanking new MacBook that i have purchased to replace the old PC and it doesn't work!!

The drive does not mount on my MacBook but can be seen under disk utilities. I'm confused as when we plug it into my housemates computer it mounts onto the desktop straight away and all my music etc is visable!!!!

Has anyone come across this problem before?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
Have you tried with NTFS-3g or paragon ntfs etc??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
By the way, I have used FUSE and NTFS-3G on Linux for some time now and it works well. I have never seen file system errors or corruption resulting from its use. I can't comment on the Mac version of it, but FUSE and NTFS-3G seem quite solid.

Reaction score
have u find any solution?

hi.. i have exactly the same problem as yours. my external hard drive works fine on my previous macbook then when I change into my new macbook pro, it doesn't even recognize it although I've installed NTFS, the same program that I used in my previous macbook.

Have u find any solution to this problem? I need some help, please. Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have you looked in Disk Utility? Is it shown there?

Reaction score
Yap, it shown in the disk utility but it doesn't mount.
Do u have any idea how to solve this? The external hard drive is very important to me..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" core i7 Quad; MBA 13" core i7; multiple Mac Minis; Mint PB 12"
Take a look at Finder Prefs

Just a thought. Go to Finder on the top menu bar. Select Preferences and make sure that the box for External Disks is checked off.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just a thought. Go to Finder on the top menu bar. Select Preferences and make sure that the box for External Disks is checked off.

On the General tab if you want it to appear on the Desktop and in the Sidebar tab if you want it on the sidebar in Finder.

Reaction score
thanks for ur help guys but I've make sure that box for external drive is checked and it still doesn't show up in finder. Does this kind of problem usually happened? I've try to mount it from the disk utility but it doesn't work.

Any other suggestion? thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After you've checked those off in Finder preferences, unplug the drive and plug it back in.

Disk Utility - did you select the partition and not the drive?
And does the mount button become active or is it still greyed out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" core i7 Quad; MBA 13" core i7; multiple Mac Minis; Mint PB 12"
Do you have another USB drive to try and see if it mounts? It may be helpful to find out if the problem is with the drive or the Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
You've probably already tried this but my NTFS hard drive takes several seconds to mount. I also thought there was a problem but it just took a long time. My other Mac hard drives mount almost instantly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If the drive has any kind of built in security protection turned on, mount it on a PC and turn the security protection OFF. I've run across a number of drives that have password protection turned on on the PC side and none of my Macs will mount them.

M

MacInWin

Silly question, but have you rebooted? I find that sorts out most problems with mounting external drives.

Reaction score
I have exhausted every possible forum and support avenue available to me and I am unable to find an answer to my problem.

I have a 320gb USB external hard drive that works fine on my crappy Windows laptop and also works fine on my housemates iMac (running OSX Tiger). I plug the hard drive in to my brand spanking new MacBook that i have purchased to replace the old PC and it doesn't work!!

The drive does not mount on my MacBook but can be seen under disk utilities. I'm confused as when we plug it into my housemates computer it mounts onto the desktop straight away and all my music etc is visable!!!!

Has anyone come across this problem before?

I have the exact same issue: my iMac does't mount any NTFS partitioned device, I tried both flash usb sticks and usb HDDs. They all mount perfectly on VMWare Win8 VM on the same iMac... So it's a driver issue probably.

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue: my iMac does't mount any NTFS partitioned device, I tried both flash usb sticks and usb HDDs. They all mount perfectly on VMWare Win8 VM on the same iMac... So it's a driver issue probably.

After spending some time on it, I found out the resason for my issue: some time ago I installed Tuxera NTFS for Mac, which I unistalled. Apparently it was still there and had to remove it manually "sudo rm -rf "/Library/PreferencePanes/Tuxera NTFS.prefPane" /System/Library/Filesystems/fusefs_txantfs.fs /Library/Receipts/TuxeraNTFS.pkg /var/db/receipts/com.tuxera.pkg.Tuxera_NTFS.*".
After doing this I've been able to use my NTFS devices again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.