Adding to Address Book

Reaction score
For some reason I am now unable to add anyone to my Address Book. The relevant menu items are greyed out on the drop down menu bar and there is no add icon etc in my Address Book.

Any ideas folks?

Reaction score
Sounds like a permissions problem. Can you modify an existing card? Add something to the Notes field of an existing contact. Quit Address Book, re-launch, is the Note still there?

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have verified permissions and they are OK. I cannot edit a card at all and all the menu options that relate to editing; such as edit or delete etc are greyed out. Really odd.

Reaction score
Odd indeed! Export your Address Book, put the archive in the /Home/Library/ApplicationSupport/AddressBook folder.
Will it let you write that file?
Quit Address Book. Delete the AddressBook.data file, don't empty the Trash.
Open AddressBook, it will be empty, Import the archive.
Does that cure it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest starting from your install DVD and run Repair Permissions from there. Takes about twenty minutes.

OP
T
Reaction score
OK. My Address Book will not let me export or import a file - all options greyed out and I can't even add content from within Mail.

I booted from my install DVD and repaired permissions. There were a number of repairs, but it made no difference.

I even reinstalled all Applications from the Leopard DVD and that made no difference.

I recently added some photo's to my Address Book and I wonder if that might have upset things somehow - clutching at straws now!

My thanks to Sherman Homan and Harryb2448 for your help

Reaction score
Sheesh.
Quit AddressBook.
Go into the /Home/Library/ApplicationSupport/AddressBook folder and drag the AddressBook.data file to your desktop.
Launch AddressBook.
Pray and report back in!

Reaction score
For the last few daze, I've been unable to add or edit contacts. Almost all the menu options are grayed.

I've checked the permissions in get info and I'm set for read/write. However, I don't doubt that my system permissions are toast. Disk Utility has been giving me eight or so permission errors it can't fix since I upgrade to 10.5. I ran DiskWarrior and it fixed a ton of stuff. Then I used Disk Utility and it gave me more permission errors than ever. It fixed them all ... except the eight original ones.

I'm using an iMac Late 2006.

I tried the last fix mentioned. Nothing changed. All my address information was still present as well.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
When you drag the .data file to the desktop, delete it from the /AddressBook folder, then try running Address Book?

Reaction score
address book: no edit or + buttons!

Hi I have a similar problem
on address panel, there are no + buttons, or any way of manipulating address contacts.
I have added all previous recipients to my address book as I'm trying to send them all a warning email, as I foolishly opened a dodgy email from a friend (except it wasn't, of course) and followed the link (yes I know....... der!).

I have tried simply sending adding all the address to the 'to' box, but Mail will not send this.....and it seems that I need to be able to use address book edit functions more than I can now.

Old Mac: PowerPC G4, running OSX 10.4.11

Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMaci3, Macbook Pro, iPad Air
Hi,
I've been using my Powermac G5 for 4 years with no problems in Address Book. Suddenly I can't edit, add or delete V cards, import or export. Seems the same as happening to others. It seemed to start after an attempt to share with a new iMac over a LAN. I've searched this thread and found no acknowledged solution. Help anybody? I've tried all the listed ones except reloading OSX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMaci3, Macbook Pro, iPad Air
I'm still trying to solve this! Does anyone know if, or how, the app "address book" can be re-loaded, or if one needs to completely reload the whole OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 PPC Powermac 10.5.8
Cannot Edit/Import Address book in Leopard/10.5.8

Greetings, my first time posting here - please forgive any mistakes. I had the very problem that has been described here. I could not edit any of my address book entries, or create new groups or import any files. I have recently upgraded from 10.4.11 Tiger to 10.5.8 Leopard. After looking at a few suggestions, I did the following:
Quit Address Book
Went to Admin\Library\Application Support\Address book. From here, I first pulled out all 3 *.data files and moved them to another drive. Then I moved the Address Book-v22.abcddb out.
Then I restarted the Address book.

Key seemed to be the v22 file. It was immediately recreated and I had full control over my address book files again.

Not sure what those *.data files were for, but they are saved off if a use for them ever comes up.
Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.