Unrecognized Hard-Drive

Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I've got a MacBook with OSX Tiger on it, and an external Lacie 250GB HD. Since recently, the external HD is doing my head in, coz the Mac refuses to recognize it.

I have been trying to mount it through the Disk Utility, or to check if there are problems that can be solved, yet Disk Utility doesn't even allow me to mount it.

The exact error message I get is a window saying that the disk can be only initialized ignored or ejected.

Here are the HD specs as from Disk Utility's Info Tab:

Name : disk1s1
Type : Volume

Disk Identifier : disk1s1
Mount Point : Not mounted
Connection Bus : USB
Partition Type : Windows_FAT_32
Writable : Yes
Capacity : 232.9 GB (250,056,705,024 Bytes)
Owners Enabled : No
Can Turn Owners Off : No
Can Be Formatted : No
Bootable : No
Supports Journaling : No
Journaled : No
S.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported
Disk Number : 1
Partition Number : 1

AND ITS ROOT:

Name : SEAGATE ST3250823A Media
Type : Disk

Disk Identifier : disk1
Media Name : SEAGATE ST3250823A Media
Media Type : Generic
Connection Bus : USB
Connection Type : External
USB Serial Number : 10000E000B6300C6
Partition Type : FDisk_partition_scheme
Writable : Yes
Ejectable : Yes
Mac OS 9 Drivers Installed : No
Total Capacity : 232.9 GB (250,059,350,016 Bytes)
S.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported
Disk Number : 1
Partition Number : 0

Moreover, when the Mac tries to moun the drive, I can hear the same sound pattern coming from the HD , as if inside the same operation were continuosly repeated unsuccessfully.

I' ve tried to mount the same hard drive on other computers as well, but it doesn't seem to work on them either (both macs and windows). I don't want to format cause I've got hundreds of songs and films in it.

Now:

1. Do you think I can solve the thing only through forums, software etc. or is it likely to be more serious?
2. Is there any utility/disk managing tool that you suggest? Is there any freeware?
3. Has that windows_FAT_32 anything to do with it?
4. Can you help me somehow? I'm desperate!

Thank you very much you helpers out there,
Mattia.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1. "the same sound", as in a clicking sound? if so, the drive is more than likely dead.

2. freeware for this type of thing, not aware of any. For the Mac there is Disk Warrior, Boomerang & Techtool Pro. None are what I would call inexpensive, and depending on the state of your drive they may or may not be able to recover anything. If it is only a failed partition, you may have success. If the Lacie is still under warranty, that should be your first phone call. Don't recall at this moment windows programs, havn't had to use one in a few years.

What I don't know, someone else may be able to fill this in, is whether any of these work on FAT32 volumes or only on Mac formatted volumes.

3. No, shouldn't be a problem and as you stated, even your windows machines cannot access the drive.

4. Boomerang, the most expensive of the 3, does have a demo download available. The other 2, you'll have to purchase to even try them.

Sorry I don't have better news, but if it is a clicking sound, personally would not spend my $ to try and salvage the data on that drive at this point. You could be out $100-200 (although you would have a great program with any of them) but still not have your data back. Some other sound, maybe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.