New 2.4 ghz 20" iMac

Reaction score
I ended up purchasing a 20" from the store after I checked out the screens. The 24" was just too large for my desk, and I felt I could live with the gradient issue easier, if the gradient went from top to bottom, rather than left to right.

So far I'm quite pleased with the 20". Mine does have slight gradient problem, at least I can see it if I set the background to solid colors, but I really haven't noticed it during normal use. My eyes aren't the best so that might partially explain it. :)

I do see what people mean about the viewing angle, it's just not as good as the 24", but that's not really a problem for me either since I always sit directly in front of my computer, and never view my screen from odd angles.

I ordered 4 gigs ram from Crucial, and will be upgrading that tomorrow. If I end up having to return this computer for any reason, I'll be replacing it with another 20" so the ram won't go to waste. One of the things that worried me was the glossy screens, but amazingly I don't notice any glare issues once the machine is on.

If you're wondering why I bothered to write all this drivel, it's to encourage anyone sitting on the fence or paranoid about buying an iMac (like I was) to just go have a look and judge for yourself. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
The gradient issue doesn't affect me much, or even to the point where it doesn't affect me at all, so the 20" iMac is doing excellent so far, although I wouldn't mind a 24" if I have the cash ;)

So go get a 20" if you can't afford the 24"!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Congrats on your new purchase LadyInRed! (have to ask - is the name derived from the old Chris De Burgh song?)

Gradient issue? What gradient issue? I had never heard of this before. Do the iMacs have uneven brightness or contrast across the screen? Interesting, interesting...

OP
LadyInRed
Reaction score
Congrats on your new purchase LadyInRed! (have to ask - is the name derived from the old Chris De Burgh song?)

Gradient issue? What gradient issue? I had never heard of this before. Do the iMacs have uneven brightness or contrast across the screen? Interesting, interesting...

Hey thanks... Yes the name came from the song *sooo busted lol ;D

Yes the new iMacs seem to have a bit of gradient problems with the screens. I believe it's due to uneven brightness/contrast but can't say for certain. Quite a few have posted problems with this over at Apple Discussions.

Edit: Also you might want to check out this video on the problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoWtTozqFKU

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Congrats with your new iMac.

The issue with the gradient seems to be dependent of a variety of factors. In my case, it is a non issue, (as is the viewing angle and glare potential issues). I sit right in front of the monitor with soft lighting to a side, so these things are greatly minimize or eliminated all together. For me, fitting my fingers in the tiny keyboard is more of a thing that I have to work at.

The song brings back memories...

(edit) FWIW, I did the same test as in the youtube video, and I could not reproduce the issues addressed there.

OP
LadyInRed
Reaction score
Congrats with your new iMac.

The issue with the gradient seems to be dependent of a variety of factors. In my case, it is a non issue, (as is the viewing angle and glare potential issues). I sit right in front of the monitor with soft lighting to a side, so these things are greatly minimize or eliminated all together. For me, fitting my fingers in the tiny keyboard is more of a thing that I have to work at.

The song brings back memories...

(edit) FWIW, I did the same test as in the youtube video, and I could not reproduce the issues addressed there.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Have you calibrated your screen as well? I found that it helped when I calibrated mine. I haven't tried the youtube test yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD, Radeon 2600 PRO 256mb, CS3 Master Collection
I feel like my 24" may be a bit dimmer on the right side, but it doesn't even come close to bugging me.

Congrats on getting the iMac. I absolutely love mine (first Mac).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.