Help with Azureus...

Reaction score
I am using Azureus which many of you know what program that is, to download files. However, people say that it is the fastest torrent client, but it only downloads files at a max of 3kb/s and never ever has a green smiley face. I hear all these people downloading at 30kb/s or more. Now how can i do that. I did the NAT/firewall test and it gave me that error message saying the test timed out after 20seconds, your port may not be open. I don't know what to do, i am a beginner, so if anyone can help me that would be great. Also, I dont know if being on a college internet has anything to do with it. That means i have no access to the router or whatever. Someone please help because my files are taking FOREVER to download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If it failed the NAT test and you're living on a college campus, then it looks like the university might have blocked the standard ports for using that program. This means you either need to find somebody on campus who has found an open port, or you pretty much settle for the slow speeds.

I'm not sure if this will make a difference or not, but try giving Transmission a try. It's simpler, so it's possible that it may work better.

Also, check to see if there is a Direct Connect (or DC++) network at your school. This is generally a way for college students to share files with each other on campus, resulting in blazingly fast speeds.

OP
K
Reaction score
i downloaded transmission and placed all the torrents in, but now those will not start to download... is there something i have to do? one of the files gave me an error message saying the tracker could not be reached, when azureus was downloading it. Also, the other files just wont do anything

Reaction score
i think i have a somewhat same problem

I'm at college. At home my azureus connects perfectly. Here it doesn't connect or it just doesn't download. I've been reading to change the port, but it doesn't make a difference the downloads won't start. Anyone have an idea of what port i could put or a different way i could get it to start working?

LuckySpin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I'm at college. At home my azureus connects perfectly. Here it doesn't connect or it just doesn't download. I've been reading to change the port, but it doesn't make a difference the downloads won't start. Anyone have an idea of what port i could put or a different way i could get it to start working?

LuckySpin
Your school is probably blocking it, many schools are starting to block torrent/P2P/File sharing services.
You would first need to contact your school's IT department to see if they are, and then they would be able to tell you if it is possible or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
say it is being blocked is there ways around it??? /;)
No, and you won't find any help with it on this forum.
Go and talk to your school's IT department to find out for sure as they would be the only ones who could help you anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MP single 2.8 GHz quad core, 8800 GT, 2GB, 500GB; iMac 1.83 GHz, 2 GB, 150GB, ext dvd and drive
I don't know how much you've used Azureus but what do you have your download and upload speeds set at? It might just be that you don't have these set fast enough. Azureus recommends that you set your speed at 80% of your max possible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.