Vista on External?

Reaction score
I know there are some threads already out there about this topic but.... If I partitioned an external HD NTFS (or whatever) will I be able to install Vista on it and boot from it? I really don't wanna install vista on my internal HD because I only have 60 GB of space. (OUCH) If it's possible, some sort of tutorial/how-to/walkthrough/picture book would help too. :)

My macbook's specs :

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB11.0061.B03
SMC Version: 1.4f12
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

(minus the serial number) :D

Lol I don't even know if you would need my macbooks specs...

External HD specs:

500 GB Buffalo DriveStation USB 2.0 and FireWire-400 External Hard Drive

Umm, currently it has two partitions in it:

a partition for Time Machine which is about 264 GB

and a partition for other stuff which is about 201.5 GB

I'm willing to take some space off the Time Machine partition because I don't really need that much space for the backups ;D

Now I don't have my copy of Vista Home Premium, and I'm probably not even gonna get it if this doesn't work... Seriously 60 GB is too small for another partition LOL

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
I know there are some threads already out there about this topic but.... If I partitioned an external HD NTFS (or whatever) will I be able to install Vista on it and boot from it? I really don't wanna install vista on my internal HD because I only have 60 GB of space. (OUCH) If it's possible, some sort of tutorial/how-to/walkthrough/picture book would help too. :)
My macbook's specs :
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB11.0061.B03
SMC Version: 1.4f12
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
(minus the serial number) :D
Lol I don't even know if you would need my macbooks specs...
External HD specs:
500 GB Buffalo DriveStation USB 2.0 and FireWire-400 External Hard Drive
Umm, currently it has two partitions in it:
a partition for Time Machine which is about 264 GB
and a partition for other stuff which is about 201.5 GB
I'm willing to take some space off the Time Machine partition because I don't really need that much space for the backups ;D
Now I don't have my copy of Vista Home Premium, and I'm probably not even gonna get it if this doesn't work... Seriously 60 GB is too small for another partition LOL

This is the first case of computer-related TMI (too much info) I've seen on this forum. :D The answer is not in your hardware specs, but in software. You could potentially install a virtual Windows with Parallels or Fusion (I recommend Fusion) on an external drive, but that'd make me so nervous! Superbig and extrabad problems would arise if your external, virtual Windows was running when the connection was lost or hiccuped. And performance would suffer, even over firewire. I won't tell you to do it, especially with Vista (eww!) :) but I think it is possible.

OP
P
Reaction score
This is the first case of computer-related TMI (too much info) I've seen on this forum. :D The answer is not in your hardware specs, but in software. You could potentially install a virtual Windows with Parallels or Fusion (I recommend Fusion) on an external drive, but that'd make me so nervous! Superbig and extrabad problems would arise if your external, virtual Windows was running when the connection was lost or hiccuped. And performance would suffer, even over firewire. I won't tell you to do it, especially with Vista (eww!) :) but I think it is possible.

Thanks for your opinion! =)
So by the connection being lost, do you mean if there's a power outage and my external loses power or something then it could ruin my Mac? *gasp*
I mean, if it's gonna put my Mac in danger then I don't wanna do it... =p
MY MAC IS MY LIFE!
lol

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
I was thinking of absentmindedly unplugging the drive to plug in some other device while the VM is running...the external HD losing power would be the same.
in any case, your Mac would be fine, but not putting away a VM properly is asking to delete it and reinstall everything.
BTW, you never mentioned why on earth you want to run Windows anyway(?)
Also, I just reread your first post, and in no case would you be able to BOOT from the external. BootCamp doesn't allow you to install to an external drive.

OP
P
Reaction score
I was thinking of absentmindedly unplugging the drive to plug in some other device while the VM is running...the external HD losing power would be the same.
in any case, your Mac would be fine, but not putting away a VM properly is asking to delete it and reinstall everything.
BTW, you never mentioned why on earth you want to run Windows anyway(?)
Also, I just reread your first post, and in no case would you be able to BOOT from the external. BootCamp doesn't allow you to install to an external drive.

Aww...that stinks =p
Lol isn't it ironic that it's called Boot Camp but you can't really boot from some devices? Or maybe I'm just going crazy for wanting to install Windows and having too many beers...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
It will work at the very least you need a USB 2.0 recommend FW 800. I think you can do it through Boot Camp. I did installed from the MacBook it self (By putting blank 300GB and formatting and installed). Just be careful of the Ex.HDD if something goes wrong it's buggered and you have to start again.

OP
P
Reaction score
It will work at the very least you need a USB 2.0 recommend FW 800. I think you can do it through Boot Camp. I did installed from the MacBook it self (By putting blank 300GB and formatting and installed). Just be careful of the Ex.HDD if something goes wrong it's buggered and you have to start again.

Ok, so how do you get Boot Camp to recognize your External? I ran Boot Camp Assistant and it's just showing my internal HD...God I feel like such a noobie...LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
Bootcamp will partition the internal disk only. It's meant for that alone. Currently booting the OSs from external storage devices is not very well supported. However there are tweaks available for these. You need to use google.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Thanks for your opinion! =)
So by the connection being lost, do you mean if there's a power outage and my external loses power or something then it could ruin my Mac? *gasp*
I mean, if it's gonna put my Mac in danger then I don't wanna do it... =p
MY MAC IS MY LIFE!
lol

No, it won't ruin your Mac, but it'll likely damager the VM you were running at the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, so how do you get Boot Camp to recognize your External? I ran Boot Camp Assistant and it's just showing my internal HD...God I feel like such a noobie...LOL

I said you have to take your Mac HDD out and put the External one in if its SATA 2.5inch HDD then insert the Vista Disc and it should install automacialy. When finshed you can put the leopard disc in to install the vista drivers for use with mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
I said you have to take your Mac HDD out and put the External one in if its SATA 2.5inch HDD then insert the Vista Disc and it should install automacialy. When finshed you can put the leopard disc in to install the vista drivers for use with mac

But the original disk needs to be put back. Once you take out the vista disk the problem again remains about booting vista from external drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All you need is a USB 2.0 minium prefably FW800 as it is faster. You rejecy the disc ou of the Mac replace the vista HDD with the Mac's one. Then insert Leopard disc after botting from Ex. HDD by pressing Option Key/Alt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
Have you tried booting vista from external using the above method. It isn't that straight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.