BOOYAH! Speech recognition for iPhone... finally!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I just picked this up off Installer on my iPhone. A new voice-activation software for the iPhone... one of the most sorely-needed features. According to the notes, you can voice-dial a number; answer/decline incoming calls; activate any app by speech; launch a bookmark; and more. I haven't had a chance to experiment with it yet, but hopefully it's at least half as good as it sounds.
http://www.makayama.com/iphonevoicedial.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Hmm, this looks really cool. I think I'll check it out.

I can only imagine what sort of apps we'll see once the SDK is released :D

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Playing with this right now... I'm a bit disappointed that the voice dial can only be set once per contact. So if your contact has multiple numbers, it dials the "first" one it finds. It also wouldn't let me exit the program at least once now... forcing me to shut the phone off. Hopefully that won't be a huge problem. For the few contacts I'd voice dial, I can just split them into multiple contacts per number for now.

Yah... I'm looking forward to the SDK release also. It's amazing what all these people have done so far without one!

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well this is ridiculous. I'm still trying to test and refine my voice commands when I get a message my trial expired. Total time "trying" it: 20 minutes. And I had yet to get it to reliably recognize the command to call my wife.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Does anyone actually use voice dialers? I know they're useful if you're a blue-tooth ear-piece user (assuming looking like a plonker is not an issue for you), but they're so unreliable and the tech seems to have barely improved since I had this feature on the K700i 4 years ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hmmm... compare and contrast. My new car has an integrated Bluetooth "headset" in the cabin - integrated microphone and speakers, plus a full voice activated menu system. Of course I paired it to my iPhone immediately. I have set up about 4 voice dials so far it worked the first time, and keeps working everytime. Clearly there is better voice reco software and hardware out there than the combo of iPhone and this new application. Too bad though; I agree that a good voice driven interface would be an awesome addition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
i was going to download this app but for just a 20min test i cant be bothered.

also phone have had voice dial for such a long time and there is not a lot of point to it i mean i use it so much i dident even know the iphone dident have it.

would would be nice is a speech typing app for the iphone so i can use it like a tape recorder but it types what i say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
Does anyone actually use voice dialers? I know they're useful if you're a blue-tooth ear-piece user (assuming looking like a plonker is not an issue for you), but they're so unreliable and the tech seems to have barely improved since I had this feature on the K700i 4 years ago.
with speed dialing so easy, i never did. but lets face it, speed dial isnt as easy on an iphone, it takes a few more pushes.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
with speed dialing so easy, i never did. but lets face it, speed dial isnt as easy on an iphone, it takes a few more pushes.

Exactly the problem. And you can't do it without looking at the screen... a bit inconvenient if not dangerous, depending on the situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I did. I had a Sanyo SCP-8100 flip phone on Sprint, and I had a couple voice dial numbers in it. It was great because I could flip it open, push one easy-to-find button, and speak the name. It worked 90% of the time. The same numbers were speed dial numbers, but usually I'd just voice dial them.

Frankly I miss voice dialing and voice memos, which I also used to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
This is one feature I miss form my old phone. If you have a lot of contacts, it can be much faster to voice dial than to look up the contact.

Hopefully there will be better version made after the SDK because I don't have a jailbroken phone and I'm not paying $33 dollars for such a minor feature.

Reaction score
voicethis

I found a much better voice dialer app on the App store called voicethis. It is at least 10 times better than voice dial by makayama because first of all it doesnt require any training or voice tags (who has time for that??) and it can voice dial anyone in your contact list including foreign characters at a speed of 1 second. Its the only voice dialer on the App store that is actually useful, the rest are all way too slow even if they are accurate if its too slow why would anyone use it?

Try voicethis you will not be disappointed. I personally use it everyday and I love it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.