• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Song from Garageband import into Final Cut Pro Problems

Reaction score
I just made a song using Garageband and I was hoping that I could use it in a video I made using Final Cut Pro. Final Cut pro would not let me import the song, which Garageband exported as a .m4a file. What can I do to make Final Cut Pro 2 recognize the file and let me import it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
Open the M4A file in Quicktime and then export as a high quality AIFF (16-bit, stereo, 44.100 or 48Khz). You may have to do this through iTunes if you don't have Quicktime Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I've also had success using iTunes to convert the file to mp3 and importing it to final cut.

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would avoid the MP3 stage as that just adds another layer of compression and destroys the audio quality that much more. AIFF is not compressed when you make a 16-bit 44.1 or 48Khz stereo file. Doesn't Garbageband let you export as an AIFF file to begin with? If so, that is what you should do, optimally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I don't know about compression and audio loss...it's just music for a video podcast, so not going for the 10.7 surround or anything...but if you are concerned with it, then definitely use the apple lossless format if possible.

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Use AIFF. Only use lossless if you are pressed for hard drive space while you work on the project.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.