opening and forwarding ports

Reaction score
im looking/trying to open a port for undisclosed reasons. i have done everything i can, but i can only get the port to go into stealth mode. I have an older wired linksys router that allowed me to do the same on my PC, idk if its the mac firewall or what, but its irritating me. any and all help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You would have to log into your router's settings to change port forwarding settings.

Since you have a Linksys router, input 192.169.1.1 into a browser and look for the port forwarding settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you make sure you forwarded them for the correct IP address? Made sure you opened both TCP and UDP ports?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, you could go in and make 100% sure it's for the correct IP address. You should also try setting a range of ports instead of a specific one. Just go two ports above and two below the one you want.

Also, did you set the correct ports in the particular application that needs the ports?

OP
G
Reaction score
i allowed ports 5900-5905 and am trying to forward 5902, and i specified that port in the application requiring it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still nothing? Try restarting both the router and your computer. There are some routers that require a restart to apply changes, even the smallest of changes. Also check to see whether there is an option to turn on port forwarding in your router's settings. I remember configuring a router that had this option, it was so frustrating when I couldn't get ports forwarded only to find that the option wasn't turned on.

OP
G
Reaction score
if restarted the computer a few times, haven't done the router yet. ill probably do that tomorrow as i dont feel like moving right now. lol. im so lazy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can actually do it from your computer. Log into your router's settings and look for the administration area. There should be an option to restart the router.

OP
G
Reaction score
well im pretty sure the router is slowly taking a poop on me. itll randomly lose all signal, itll receive signal but not send it out, i called up the internet provider and they said my connection has been live for something like 8 days, but i lost connection like 5 times while i was on the phone with him. it seems to be a very common problem with this router, i googled it and pages after pages of the same thing. so im likely going to buy a new one sometime this week and pray that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which router do you have?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.