Questions That Need Answers

Reaction score
Still acclimatising to my MBP and I have some more questions that I hope someone can answer:
1) As regards setting up the "outgoing mail server" what is the recommended setting for "Use authentication" and "Use secure sockets layer SSL". Also, what do these actually mean ?!
2) Should I turn "Airport" off if I just use my MBP at home?
3)When I fire up my MBP I get the message "None of your preferred networks are available" and then lists an ISP like Virgin (who I'm not actually with). What the ??....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
1) As regards setting up the "outgoing mail server" what is the recommended setting for "Use authentication" and "Use secure sockets layer SSL". Also, what do these actually mean ?!
Depends on what your ISP (or whoever your using for mail) wants. Look at their e-mail help files to see what should be selected. It if it working already then I wouldn't worry about those settings.

2) Should I turn "Airport" off if I just use my MBP at home?
If your not using your wireless when at home then you might as well turn it off. Might notice slightly longer battery life.

3)When I fire up my MBP I get the message "None of your preferred networks are available" and then lists an ISP like Virgin (who I'm not actually with). What the ??....
It's looking for the last wireless network you connected to. It can't find it so it is displaying this message. Turning off wireless if not using it will probably solve this issue.

I'm still learning myself so anyone correct me if I am wrong. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.