Whats the big deal about the penryn processor?

Reaction score
From what i hear, it only increases speed in apps using sse4 right? What else besides benchmarking programs use this? Maybe i guess if you used super high end apps it would make a difference, but I dont see any real great reason to hold off for these?

maybe im missing something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
T
Reaction score
that article doesnt really say much. The performance gains are almost negligible in the articles ive read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
its all hype. its like any other "next-step" chip. 10-20% better @ BEST!

i like to go every other gen.

Reaction score
I just picked up a MBP because I was tired of waiting. Now I hear they may come in February. I can still take back my MBP and pay a restocking fee. Trying to decide...

Reportedly gives almost an hour of extra juice. That's pretty good...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
i like to go every other gen.
Good advice.

Personally, I usually skip 2-3 gens with computer equipment. No sense in trying to be "bleeding edge"... things get updated too soon. Keep a generation or three behind and you'll be fine. Older gen equipment works just fine, does the job and does it well... and isn't "obsolete"* just because its a couple years old.

* (it really irks me the way that word is misunderstood, misused and thrown around like it is)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, 2-3 gens is not bad nowadays. Spent many a year building a new rig every year (or at minimum upgrading the video card) just to be able to play the latest game. Back then processor speed was doubling easily every 12 months. This is no longer the case. And having the most current thing out there certainly is no longer a necessity.

You really can purchase a system when you need one and not worry about it not being able to run any piece of software you decide to put on it during the next 2-3 years. The only piece of hardware really to be concerned about today is the video card in the machine. And as a rule of thumb, at least for now, just stay away from integrated video if you'll ever have a need for 3D on your new system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I just picked up a MBP because I was tired of waiting. Now I hear they may come in February. I can still take back my MBP and pay a restocking fee. Trying to decide...

Reportedly gives almost an hour of extra juice. That's pretty good...

There's absolutely no way of knowing when if/when Apple will upgrade the MBP with new processors. I honestly wouldn't expect it within a month. If the MBP you bought meets your needs, why get so worked up over a newer chip that will be a waste of ability if the current generation already works fine for you?

Regarding the extra battery life, I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt it will add an extra hour of battery life. That would be a more than 20% increase overall, meaning the power saving on the processor alone would have to be insanely phenomenal in order to get a 20% reduction in the entire computer's power consumption with nothing else changed (other components, screen, etc.). And from what I've read there's nothing revolutionary about them which would makes such a thing possible. In fact it may actually be impossible. If the processor accounts for 1/5 of total battery usage, the new processor would essentially have to use zero power in order to achieve a 20% reduction of energy use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
i say we'll see a MBP update BY MARCH at the latest. Id wait the 2 months, but i never wait much longer than that.

id make due with an old machine.

now if i was 6months out, or so, of an update, i buy then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.