Is my MBP running too hot?

Reaction score
My brand new macbook pro is only about 1 month old now and it has been running well until last night. For some reason the temperature has seemed to skyrocket. While browsing on the internet my macbook pro used to run at around 50ºC, but after turning it on today it jumped to around 75º and then would go up to 80º occasionally. The fans are running between 3500RPM-4000RPM while browsing. I loaded up World of Warcraft and the temperature stayed the same except the fans were running at a constant 6000 rpm which is normal for me.

I might just be paranoid but I do think it is strange that it used to be running at lower temperatures and now it is getting a lot hotter. So if anyone could post their temperatures or tell me if it is running hot it would be alot of help.

Edit: The temperatures come from the GPU and CPU A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
My MBP runs at ~45-50C when web browsing/iTunes. It goes to ~60C when watching a video (QuickTime) and jumps to ~80C when ripping a DVD or playing games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
heating has always been an issue with macbooks and MBPs, they do run exceptionally hot compared to many PC counterparts, it's nothing to worry about :) My Macbook heatsink is currently at 126 degrees C and the CPUs are at 60, and the fan is barely running. Just keep it off your lap to prevent excessive heating ;)

OP
C
Reaction score
I just left my MBP at idle for about 15 min. and I came back and seen that the GPU was at 50ºC. I don't know if that little bit of info helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
I just left my MBP at idle for about 15 min. and I came back and seen that the GPU was at 50ºC. I don't know if that little bit of info helps.

I haven't touched my MBP for the last 10 minutes and my GPU temp reads 54C.

I think your temperatures are OK!! When I first started using my MBP, I was really concerned by how hot it ran. After a few google searches, it seems MBP are running really hot and they are meant for that.

I'd suggest you buy a notebook cooler if you are very concerned with heat. I'm using a Targus Chill Mat, it's noisy, but it keeps my MBP's bottom case cool. Remember that the MBP's aluminum casing acts as a heat dissipator.

OP
C
Reaction score
Well thanks for all the reply's, and I guess I was just paranoid. It has just started to drop down to what it used to run at and is not reaching up to the 80s anymore except the GPU spikes up a few times here and there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
mine runs at about 117 f with smc fan control set at 3200rpm.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.