Which iMac to buy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
I am getting ready to upgrade to a new computer in the next few months, and I need to know a little more. I am tech-term illiterate, and don't want to spend more $$$ than I have to--but don't want to spend too little and get stuck with a lemon. :Oops:

Picture4.png

The computer will be a brand new 20" iMac, and the options are above. However, there is a $300 difference between the two machines, and the only difference I see is in the speed, graphics, and amount of memory. :| If .4 GHz, 70 GB of space, and 200 (higher??) graphics card are worth the $300, then I have no problem paying for them. BUT, if the low-cost machine will operate at a reasonable pace and be reliable, I would just as soon opt for it. Decisions, decisions. :Smirk:

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
...and you will be using this machine for _________ (fill in the blank).

I'm betting all you need is the base model. It's still a great machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The base machine will do almost everything the normal user would ever do. So I'd recommend it. And go somewhere else to upgrade the ram to 2 or 4 GB. That'll help more then buying the 2.4 machine. Also getting an external HD or two later if you really need the space is a good idea. One for Time Machine and the other for what won't fit on your internal one.

And for the graphics card. Well I have an ATI x1600 (128MB) in my imac. And it works just fine with everything, even video editing. Just it doesn't like full screen in the most recent games. So really the 2.0 should do you fine. And you can save up and get more ram/HD space as you need it.

You might notice the speed difference between the 2 and the 2.4 in a few intense apps. But mostly when surfing the net, using photoshop and itunes etc I won't even use up all of my 2 ghz of speed. it's plenty fast for me.

The only catch is you can't upgrade the cpu or video card as you know. It's your choice. The 2.0 is a great machine. But the 2.4 is just a little better. Sure it's a want and not a need. But it's nice you know.

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...and you will be using this machine for _basic word processing (MS Word), PowerPoint, iTunes, internet, email, possibly some iMovie, iChat, AIM, Kodak EasyShare, and other various applications at times_ (fill in the blank).

I'm betting all you need is the base model. It's still a great machine.

The base machine will do almost everything the normal user would ever do. So I'd recommend it. And go somewhere else to upgrade the ram to 2 or 4 GB. That'll help more then buying the 2.4 machine. Also getting an external HD or two later if you really need the space is a good idea. One for Time Machine and the other for what won't fit on your internal one.

And for the graphics card. Well I have an ATI x1600 (128MB) in my imac. And it works just fine with everything, even video editing. Just it doesn't like full screen in the most recent games. So really the 2.0 should do you fine. And you can save up and get more ram/HD space as you need it.

You might notice the speed difference between the 2 and the 2.4 in a few intense apps. But mostly when surfing the net, using photoshop and itunes etc I won't even use up all of my 2 ghz of speed. it's plenty fast for me.

The only catch is you can't upgrade the cpu or video card as you know. It's your choice. The 2.0 is a great machine. But the 2.4 is just a little better. Sure it's a want and not a need. But it's nice you know.

The computer is not entirely a need, but definitely not just a want. The most intense thing I do at times is work with iMovie or watch YouTube videos. I don't play games.

Just as an FYI, it's going to be used for college work and double as a TV for the dorm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
Buy the most you can afford.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
I personally bought the 2.4Ghz model over the 2.0Ghz model not because of the extra .4 GHz, nor the 70Gb hard-drive(though its a nice bonus). Most importantly, I went with the pricier model as the graphics card would last me for a longer time and would have a better performance as I would not be changing this iMac for quite some time and upgrading the graphics card is not an option. Like what brian67 says, buy the best you can afford.

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sound like it's going to be the 2.4 GHz model. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
if you are worried about cost you could always look at the refurbs. A refurb 20" 2.4ghz imac is going for 1299

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4/4/320/Leopard, 12" PowerBook G4 1.5/1.25/80/Tiger
if you are worried about cost you could always look at the refurbs. A refurb 20" 2.4ghz imac is going for 1299

That's what I just got. Although the processor speed wasn't much of a factor for real-world purposes, the larger video RAM was, especially if I decide to keep my 24" Dell monitor (holy moly, what to do with all that space!).

That plus the larger drive justifies the added expense, and I think makes it a more long-term purchase.

--Chris

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought a refurbished iBook. I am going for new this time in hopes of having fewer problems.

I don't have a problem paying $1,400 for a computer, but I do have a problem spending $1,400 for a computer that is not worth that... which is why I am inquiring about it before I purchase. First-hand experience of real owners is the only way to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.