Sleep/wake, USB problems on iBook 700MHz

N

newfred

Hi everyone. I hope that my question has not been covered in previous threads, but I've had a look and can't find anything conclusive.

I have a 2003 iBook G3 700MHz with 128mb RAM. It has behaved perfectly until a few weeks ago when, after having left it plugged in and shut down while I was away (for a week), I came back to find it unable to sleep.

However, it's not entirely that simple:

It WILL sleep if the lid is closed and on battery power only;
but it WILL NOT sleep if the computer is plugged in to the mains, and the lid is either open or closed.

Furthermore, from the same point in time, my second USB bus will not work but does receive power.

I've tried resetting the P. M. U., but to no avail.

I wonder if a power surge or something similar might have caused hardware damage while I was away, but I ran diagnostics, which returned no problems. Any thoughts?

I'm running the doomed 10.2.8 as well.

Thanks for reading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hmmm, with regards to problem 1: You haven't set the energy saving option to never sleep have you?

I realise that it should sleep anyway if the lid is closed, but i was wondering if this was part of the problem.

Maybe try downloading the screen-spanning hack and toggling the 'ignore sleep when lid is closed' checkbox. Turn it on & then off again...maybe that'll help?

As for the usb port: Mine did that once, port 1 was working, port 2 wasn't.
A restart helped in my case, though for you it doesn't seem to be working.

Have you repaired permissions and run crons? (I know it's a standard question...but it sometimes does helP!)

OP
N

newfred

Aptmunich said:
Hmmm, with regards to problem 1: You haven't set the energy saving option to never sleep have you?

I realise that it should sleep anyway if the lid is closed, but i was wondering if this was part of the problem.

Maybe try downloading the screen-spanning hack and toggling the 'ignore sleep when lid is closed' checkbox. Turn it on & then off again...maybe that'll help?

As for the usb port: Mine did that once, port 1 was working, port 2 wasn't.
A restart helped in my case, though for you it doesn't seem to be working.

Have you repaired permissions and run crons? (I know it's a standard question...but it sometimes does helP!)

Energy saving options are as usual. When putting the computer to sleep, the sleep light comes on momentarily, and then immediately wakes up again. No joy re USB.

I'm no Mac expert -- can you tell me how to repair permissions and run crons?

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
"I'm no Mac expert -- can you tell me how to repair permissions and run crons?

Thanks for your help."

Neither am I, just read a lot of posts ;)
This help isn't free by the way... when you're up & running again you have to go to my bands website and download our free songs and post in our guestbook... english is fine & makes people think we're an internationally recognised act ;):

www.ampliphonic.de

Anyway back on topic:

Disk permissions & crons:

To repair disk permissions go to applications -> utilities -> disk utility and select your volume on the left (should be called os x or something...)

Then hit repair permissions at the bottom of the middle box.

Crons: Well I think these are regular 'cleanup' tasks that os x has to do sometimes. You can access these through the terminal somehow, but I just use the app 'Macjanitor' instead.

Find it on versiontracker, download it and then run 'all tasks'.

If none of these work, maybe you need to call Apple...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.