Admin icon/picture?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 120GB hard drive
Hi! This is my first thread here and I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I hope someone can help me.

When I first got my mac I had to take a picture (OSX 10.5.1 Leopard) with iSight. It's in my address book now as a small thumbnail and Adium uses it too as my user pic. It's also the "user pic" for my admin account.

Problem is: I have no idea where that picture is. :[ Does anyone have any ideas? I also have no idea what it's called, or I would search for it with finder.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if the question is really stupid. :Blushing:

M

MacHeadCase

Hi! I moved your thread to OS X Applications because this is a Photo Booth question.

The question is not stupid at all! You will get used to OS X's structure and hierarchy with time so no worries!

The image you are looking for should be in the Photo Booth folder. The path to this folder is this:

Macintosh HD -> Users -> your user account -> Pictures -> Photo Booth

OP
ILoveMyMacbook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, MacHeadCase. Sorry about posting in the wrong forum.

The picture isn't there. :(

ETA: It's nowhere in the Pictures folder: not in my iPhoto Library, not in iChat Icons, not in the PhotoBooth folder.

M

MacHeadCase

K. Lemme check some more...

Edited to add:

Ok it has to be somewhere in your user account. Either in Pictures or Library or Documents.

The pictures that Apple offers straight out of the box to users are stored in the Library in the root level but these are to be used by all users on your Mac so something that touches only you has to be in your user account. It could be a hidden image file but I doubt that: I would see no practical reasons for hiding that file.

Of course, I am still using Tiger. If you are running Leopard, maybe Apple changed something...

OP
ILoveMyMacbook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:\ No luck. I also chose "all pictures" in Finder and didn't see it. - I also just tried searching for things created the day I got my mac but it wasn't there, or if it way it was maybe inside a folder - but I looked at the ones that seemed plausible and couldn't find it.
I also tried to open Adium's preferences, but it won't show me where it has the picture from.
The mac is clearly mocking me. :Confused:

I want to find it more out of curiosity than anything else, so it's not that important, but it's weird.

Thanks anyway, MacHeadCase. :)

PS: Maybe it's saved as some sort of Address Book file? There were a bunch of those, but I didn't try to open them.

If I ever find that picture I'll post it here, just in case anyone else has the same "problem" as me.

M

MacHeadCase

It might be worth a try. Look into your user account -> Library -> Application Support -> Address Book.

But that would mean the same image is available for all OS X apps to use it as an icon.

OP
ILoveMyMacbook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It wasn't there. :|

I was just curious and being lazy, the picture was about the same as my avatar now, I just took another one - and this time it did go to the photobooth folder.

The first picture was the picture I had to take when first started the mac and it asked me a bunch of questions (and then all of a sudden I was on the screen and it felt like Big Brother was watching me, haha).

Thanks again, MacHeadCase. :*

M

MacHeadCase

Well I did a bit of further investigating on this.

I created a new user account and logged in it. Went to the System Prefs -> User -> Picture thingy. And asked for Take a video snapshot. It got the iSight to take a picture but where it stored it, I never could find it in this virgin account! And yet the picture is there, to be used in all this new user's info. The only thing I could see was that it was in the user's Library -> Application Support -> in either Address Book -> Images or SyncServices -> clientdata.

But get this: the files only contain numbers and have no extensions so it is impossible to find them using Spotlight and asking for .jpgs or something. In fact, the files are viewed as Documents, not images at all.

So the system does put some type of lock on it and I really don't know how you can ever access this file or not. Maybe through Terminal but I'm not the one to ask for Terminal stuff unfortunately. :D

Too bad we didn't get to the bottom of this. Glad you found the posts useful. :)

OP
ILoveMyMacbook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So could I open the file with no extension with Preview and see the picture?
This is all very confusing.

Fortunately, the picture wasn't anything too special, I'm just a curious person. ;)

M

MacHeadCase

I don't know, haven't tried it. If the system identifies the type of file as a document, you might try it but it might not work. I'm sure not gonna try it: I already deleted the test user account. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Open Address Book. Find your card. Click 'edit'. Double-click your icon. Command-C to copy the image. Paste it into an art program, adium window, etc.

Or it might still be in PhotoBooth itself. Open PhotoBooth... do you see the image? It should be the first one in the well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.