I have a Mac Trojan

M

MacHeadCase

I think that after your friend (you really call this guy a friend?) told you "Oh but there are Trojans for OS X" you're saying you didn't know what you were getting into? I think it was rather obvious.

Definition of a Trojan. A Trojan is a program that claims to be something but it is disguised to look like something else. Note here the extension in the example given:

A simple example of a Trojan horse would be a program named "waterfalls.scr" where its author claims it is a free waterfall screensaver. When run, it instead unloads hidden programs, commands, scripts, or any number of commands with or without the user's knowledge or consent. Malicious Trojan Horse programs are often used to circumvent protection systems in effect creating a vulnerable system to allow unauthorized access to the user's computer. Non-malicious Trojan Horse programs are used for managing systems, deploying software, surveillance, and forensics.

So no matter what your beliefs, that Automator script is not a Trojan. You knew right off the bat what you were going to experiment since your friend warned you, and you willingly clicked on it to try it out. The extension on the file must have an Automator action extension so it isn't mimicking anything else out there, pretending to be something else.

Rule of thumb: Always know what you are clicking on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP
Choose your friends carefully...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Are you kidding me ? Before making mindless accusations, I never said it was a virus, I mentioned it only opened all apps and nothing more, and I don't have the abilities to even know how to make an automator script.

A friend sent it to me saying it was a game and when i tried it found out, and told him there were no trojans on a mac and he says no there is, and this is one.

Sounds like your "friend" has played an hilarious joke on you. He can just go and pick up a Mac trojan whenever he likes? You've been had.

Reaction score
Doesn't sound like a trojan to be fair, doesn't fit the description. More a hoax or a virus i guess.

Reaction score
Doesn't sound like a trojan to be fair, doesn't fit the description. More a hoax or a virus i guess.

Definitely not a virus. More similar to a Trojan if anything, but nothing like a real Trojan. Just an Automator script anyone could have written. It's basically a hoax of a Trojan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For goodness sake don't develop any enemies then. Try trashing it and then do a spotlight for any plug-ins, preferences or the like it may have left.

Reaction score
Just remove it from your Mac?

It's not a trojan, just a file that reeks havoc amongst your system, but does no permanent, or harmful, damage.

Just delete it, and move on with your life!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.