re-installing safari on 10.5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi,

Hoping someone can help me. I have a macbook with 10.5.1. Safari mysteriously "disappeared" after my husband used the computer...hum.

I now need to re-install it. I CANNOT find the proper link to give me a full version of safari (not just an update) and not Safari 1, which my computer says it won't install b/c it can't run it. I have the os discs that computer came with, but those are jaguar - the person I bought the computer from updated to leopard and I don't have those discs.

Thank you in advance to anyone who may have a hint.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Is the Safari application itself actually gone, or is the icon just missing from the Dock? Check in your applications folder to see if it is there, and if it is you can just drag it's icon back into the Dock.

Do you have the original Tiger disks that would have come with the MacBook? MacBooks only came with Tiger or, later, Leopard. Jaguar is an old PowerPC version of OS X that wouldn't run on a MacBook. If you have the Tiger disks, you may be able to get Safari off of them.

OP
A
Reaction score
The app itself is gone. I must have gotten the cat wrong... I'm not sure which the discs are but they don't let me chose just safari to load- for some reason the ilefe programs and safari require you to re-install the os and the software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Your best option is to download a program called Pacifist. Then insert your OS X disk and run Pacifist. You will see an option to "Open Package". Navigate to your install disk, and go to /System/Installation/Packages/Safari.pkg. Drag Safari.app from Pacifist to your applications folder.

Hope this works for you!

Edit: I just realized that the Tiger version of Safari won't run on Leopard, so I'm at a loss.. Maybe you could borrow someone's Leopard disk and follow the same procedure I mentioned above.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for thinking it through with me.

I have a friend with a macbook. If I hook a firewire cable up and hold down apple t I can drag a copy of her safari, right? Though, if I understand you correctly she would have to running at least 10.5?

What on earth is up with apple? Why don't they provide downloads like every other browser?... I don't get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac PowerPc G4 1.25 GHZ Processor, 1Gb Ram
hmmm, this is a fun one lol

I know you can go to the apple website (www.apple.com)
and you can download the safari 3 beta
but obviously since its a beta you may run into a few problems
but Im honestly not sure because the Safari app. that comes with leopard is
Safari 3.0.4
so maybe its the same thing?
or maybe once you get the beta you can upgrade
that's just a maybe though
give me a couple of minutes, I'll do a bit of research for you : )

OP
A
Reaction score
I'll gladly take the beta. I'm confused about how to get it though-
this is the download page for it: http://www.apple.com/safari/download/.

You have to choose "Safari for windows XP or Vista" or "Safari+QuickTime for Windows XP or Vista". This makes me pull out my hair- Mac is not an option.

M

MacHeadCase

As was said previously here, use Pacifist to grab the package off of your restore disk. Why try downloading a beta if you have the real, finished product on your restore disk? And why try grabbing the app from another computer? It's on your restore disk...

Edited to add:

Just saw you specify you do not have the restore disk.

Well contact Apple to get them replaced for a minimal fee. The restore disk can save your Mac in more ways than one. It contains the OS installer, bundled software installers and diagnostic tools for checking hardware. It is worth it. And again, never buy a Mac without the restore disk.

OP
A
Reaction score
well... I did buy a mac without the restore disc for the current operating system so that advice, while useful for the future, doesn't do me much good right now. I don't have $ to buy the discs. If there is a place to download the beta for mac and someone knows what it is, that information would extremely useful.

M

MacHeadCase

It isn't for the future, it's for your problem right now! Contact Apple or go to an Apple Store and buy the restore disk. The beta is not available anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.