Logic Express Help Needed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MB, 2.2GHz Intel, 4GB, OS X Leopard, 250GB.
I am the newly proud owner of a macbook as of last Thursday.
Right now I am trying out Logic Express and finding a few difficulties so anyone with any knowledge on the program will help me greatly here.

First off I am trying to use the mic input on the macbook with an external dynamic mic and having difficulties switching the input from the internal mic on the macbook to the external mic im using.

Secondly I have an Alesis Multimix 16 USB and am trying to use that with Logic Express. I have a dynamic mic and a guitar running through the desk on two separate channels. I am getting a signal on the desk but no IDEA how to get anything up on Logic Express.

I am a lot more used to using programs such as Cubase, as I have been for the past two years on my PC, but my first day of Logic Express is not going to plan.

Any help for my above issues GREATLY appreciated.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Quoting from the manual (I don't actually have Logic Express) the interface should be automatically recognised when Logic starts up so you should just need to do the following to set it up:

Select Logic Express > Preferences > Audio

Select the Devices tab

Make sure Core Audio is enabled then select your device from the drop down menu.

Then fiddle around with the options.

If you don't see your device in the drop down menu then goto Apple (the little apple in the top right of the screen) > About This Mac

Select More Info followed by USB and check that your device is listed, if not then your MAC has not recognised it for some reason (maybe not connected with a full data USB cable?).

The website for the Alesis device you have says that it is plug and play with OSX but some devices don't play well with Leopard.

Get back to us if you are still having problems.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Oops, missed the first question; goto System Preferences > Sound

Select Input tab and then select the appropriate input in the menu.

It would probably be better to put the Mic through the Alesis as well, the Line In option only works well for powered Mic's.

Amen-Moses

OP
Lukebook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MB, 2.2GHz Intel, 4GB, OS X Leopard, 250GB.
Thanks for the help mate! Off to bed now but will try it out tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Thankyou again! Fingers crossed!

Reaction score
Have been having a similar problem, i have been using logic for a few months now and this is the first time i have not been able to connect a soundcard to it, normally when i plug one in, logic tells me it has discovered a new audio device, but with my alesis multimix 16 usb 2.0 nothing pops up and i cannot see it in the drop box of audio devices? will i need to update the drivers on the mac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.