• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Trouble Uploading Video From iMovie to YouTube

Reaction score
I have been having issues uploading video from imovie to YouTube and I have tried everything possible without success. The video is about 120MB and a little over 5 minutes. So I have tried breaking it in half and uploading it in two parts, then I tried breaking it into just one minute intervals and uploading it that way.

Every time I try to upload it, it gets about half way done and then gets stuck and shows the number of minutes left rising in number rather than decreasing, so it will start saying 7 minutes left and that will go to 8, then 9, 10 etc, and minutes later it will be up to say 65 minutes remaining, because its not progressing.

Does anyone have any thoughts or explinations as to what is happening.

By the way I have tried other sites as well, not just YouTube and have come across the same problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Hard to say. The upload is dependent on your upload speed. What kind of connection do you have? Dial up will take a long long long time, like 17 hours. But even the speeds with DSL or Cable modem are limiting, at least in North America.

Are you uploading directly from iMovie 08, or are you using the web interface upload?

If the half way indicated is extremely quick, then the interface is effectly lying. I notice this with WEBDAV connections from my Mac. The process claims things are loading very fast, and then you appear to hit a brick wall where the time slows to a crawl.

I suggest you try one of those 1 minute segments and just leave it alone. Time it too to get a clue of what to expect.

Note that YouTube limits you to 100MB uploads on Mac. They do have a special software app for Windows that apparently allows for upto a 1GB upload. Anyway, toy with a few of the features like playback bit rate or quality to bring the file size down just sligtly. Oh, and set the audio to mono.

OP
H
Reaction score
Xstep, I appreciate the feedback. Nope I'm using a DSL connection with reliable quick speed. I've tried both uploading it directly from imovie 08 as well as the web interace upload and have been unsucesful with both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I just uploaded a 15MB file via FTP to my private online presence and it took 3min 52sec. So on my line a 100MB file would take about 25 minutes. That was an upload speed of 59.78KB sec or about 475Kb/sec. Another 15MB file took 4min 44sec to upload to YouTube.

You could use DSLReports to check you upload capability.

Reaction score
The same problem here!

I'm having exactly the same issue! It used to work perfectly and for the last 2 months i really can't upload videos on YouTube!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.