Tip others about software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all.

I thought it would be a good idea if we each listed some less known pieces of software, so others could get some ideas and inspiration for new apps. We all know Firefox, Adium, stuff like that - no need to list those. So look in your Apps folder and post here.

I'll start with these:

UnRarX - great little app for handling .rar files.
Seashore - I think it will be handy for doing pixel art.
Burn - a good burner.
Colloquy - my preferred IRC client.
Waterroof - good app for managing various network preferences.

Reaction score
I know a couple of these a lot of people here already know, but I'll list them anyway because I still find many who had no idea about them.

NeoOffice - free, open source MS Office
Gimpshop - free Photoshop
Handbrake - ripping DVDs
iSquint - convert all movie formats to mp4 for iPod
OnyX - to run standard maintenance scripts on a laptop that's off/asleep at night
Quicksilver - application launcher, didn't think it'd be that great myself at first, but it's so convenient
VLC - plays all movie/audio files
TextWrangler - better text editor, free from makers of BBEdit
Skim - pdf reader, nicer than Preview or free version of Adobe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, 2GB RAM, 2.2Ghz, 160GB HD. 160GB Ipod Classic. 16GB iphone 3GS. Red 2G Shuffle.
I wish I'd know about NeoOffice before buying 2008 with the Macbook, nevermind...

Thanks for the list so far guys. For .rar files I've been using Zipeg but I'm struggling to unzip files that are in two parts so that they unzip to form one complete file - before I try UnRarX does anyone know if it's possible via Zipeg or even if UnRarx is capable of this? Thanks.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
seriously, all you need to do is search these forums.

want a paint app? search "paint" or the like.

there have been so many "replacement app" threads the mac-forums are a veritable gold mine of this sort of information.

OP
andersmj
Reaction score
The point of the thread was really just to enlighten some of the less known apps out there. Perhaps people don't know what they exacty look for and they could get some tips here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The point of the thread was really just to enlighten some of the less known apps out there. Perhaps people don't know what they exacty look for and they could get some tips here.
eric is correct. Searching is the best way to get suggestions and recommendations. You don't need to know an exact application, just search for "Software recommendation", "recommended sotware", "software suggestions"...etc.
You could also look at the Sticky Threads like, A switcher's guide to OS X Software for tips.
There are plenty of threads like this here, all one need to do is take a moment to look for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.