Wireless Network Range Extender??

Reaction score
Need some advice.

I have a MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core2Duo with an AirPort Extreme wireless built in. I have a wireless Linksys G broadband router.

I'm having some distance issues and would like some feedback as to what type/s of wireless extenders would help improve getting signal to the second floor etc.

THANKS! in advance.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Are you sure its distance issues as opposed to interference issues?
Try changing the channel a few times first to see if your wifi improves.

Reaction score
i have access to truly free wireless signal in my neighborhood, however, the signal is only 1 bar and we can't connect. i'm looking for something that can boost the signal. i've heard there is some sort of plug-in (into outlet?) that can boost signal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
tph, how is your router situated? Is it near or against a wall, or is it somewhere more centrally location with no obstructions around it?

margaret, there are things called range extenders that can pick up a wireless signal and then boost it. However, since you're trying to do that with public Wi-Fi, I'm not sure whether or not it'll work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.4, 4g Ram
Need some advice.

I have a MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core2Duo with an AirPort Extreme wireless built in. I have a wireless Linksys G broadband router.

I'm having some distance issues and would like some feedback as to what type/s of wireless extenders would help improve getting signal to the second floor etc.

THANKS! in advance.

I found these:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&lid=1967539789L07

Lists range extenders and antennas. I used to have a Linksys router and I used 2 of the high gain antennas, they gave me ~ 1-2 bars better. I thought it was a bit pricey for only a couple bars, but they do work.

EDIT: You could also look into getting a wireless-N router since your MBP supports it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.