• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

too young, but what car is best...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen
I was talking to my mates today about what cars we would like as are first car's.
We started with cars actually could be true then i got on to the golf R32 and honda civic type R. I was wondering what car like the the honda and the golf would be good to get and quite cheap to insure. lets say around £5k in england thanks :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Neither. You want cheap to insure, especially someone at a young age, you need to be looking at something without a special R badge. Get the base model, or SE or whatever, not the sportier R model.

Reaction score
The insurance per year for both the R32 and Type R for a 17 year old on their own policy would be more than the cars value. That's why you tend to see most younger drivers with fiesta's, Clio's, Corsa's etc because insurance at our ages are ridiculously high. When I pass my test I'm going to be looking for a solid old bug. £4000 will buy you a nice model usually restored and of course bugs are economical, if it's over 25 years it's free tax and parts are cheap aswel as that they are great fun.

OP
James-
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks you too :D just wondering are minis expensive to insure?

Reaction score
Classic mini's wouldn't be as high as the golf or civic however you will still find that the insurance is higher than the cars value. The best way to get insurance as a young driver is to go on your parents policy as a named driver. When my brother first started driving the insurance for his 2004 Clio was 90£ a month as a named driver on my moms policy, this is a fraction of what he would have paid on his own policy.

OP
James-
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK thanks you all I only got to wait now suppose thats some think to dream about :D

Reaction score
Something to wait, dream and save about for the next few years :p

Reaction score
The best you'll get is a half decent polo, golfs are evil on insurance.
But you should know by now, being 17 and having some knowledge of the world, that insurance companies have to raise the premiums of young drivers extensively because of all the chavs who can't drive and even if you have a fronted policy you won't develop ncb, commit minor fraud, even though its cheaper, you'll never get anything speedy for a few years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
Ignore all these people, what car you can drive all comes down to how much money you have and want to spend. if your minted why not go for a farrari!

if your in the same position as most people, a mini one would be fine as long as its the 1.1 model. You can also get a mini cooper S which is the fast one and unless you are rich you can kiss that goodbye. You could also probably get a small engined golf such as the 1.4, but again an R32 would be to expensive to insure.

remember cars have different models with different sized engins. you could probably get a small engined golf, civic etc.. but for something like a GTI equivalent you need to have more experiance. I could probably insure a GTI type car at my age now but only just because i have been driving for 2 years and have 2yrs no claims.

Im 19 with 2 years no claims and I have a new seat leon 1.9 TDI and my insurance fully comp is £2,500a year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Don't do it. Get an old Honda or Toyota car. Something good on gas, cheap to maintain, and reliable. You will quickly find yourself with too much to handle finacially. Not to mention that if you DID get a 'hot' car, you will most likely wreck it. Statistics suck, but that is the way it is. Get a few years experience and save up for a car that you really want.

That is what I did. I drove a beater for years. Now, I have both a 99 Prelude that I love more than anything and an 81 Civic that I use as a daily driver. Both are pretty much paid for, and insurance is fairly cheap on them both (my non-existant record helps as well).

Reaction score
toby, the fact you buy a seat leon DIESEL (even if it is turbo its a diesel, with that big clunky steel engine up front) and think paying £2500 a year is reasonable I think devalues your input, just me though.

and I reckon, the same position as most people, you can barely the petrol in a citroen ax let alone a newish mini one (I find it amazing how rich some peoples parents must be round here, one of the guys I know drives a brand new merc!). Working part time, in full time education at 16 I find it hard to afford lunch or my bus pass sometimes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
Im in the same boat as you...

17 next month, and will be learning to drive.
currently looking at a peugeot 106 or a nissan micra *old model*
new cars are expensive to insure and on an income of less than £500 a month affording a car as a student is quite a big chunk of my income.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
well i'm 17. I may not live in england, but here, top of the line 2008 civic here (si Coupe) for me as primary driver is around 5000$ cdn/yr.

i dont know if england is a lot more expensive on insurance or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
My first car was a beater car. Cost me next to nothing to insure. 2nd car was a decent car, but a cheap econobox, insurance was still pretty cheap. Now I'm 21 and have a pickup, and with my good driving record, my insurance is still cheap.

Someone just learning to drive shouldn't have a fast car, they need something that is gonna be reliable, and cheap to drive. Something with alot of power under the right foot is gonna cause alot of problems.

Reaction score
im 21 and in england and this is my baby

2206266949_2ee7f99b12.jpg

im paying 1k insurance atm all declared but you can pick up mini ones cheap and insure them cheap!

i wouldnt go for a classic not cause of what they are but u have to be good with mechanics, also spend as much as you can on one as the cheap ones have so much trouble, also when ur old enough typeR lumps fit in them!

Reaction score
if your in the same position as most people, a mini one would be fine as long as its the 1.1 model. You can also get a mini cooper S which is the fast one and unless you are rich you can kiss that goodbye. You could also probably get a small engined golf such as the 1.4, but again an R32 would be to expensive to insure.

mini ones are 1.6 85 bhp coopers are 1.6 120 bhp and cooper S are 1.6 170bhp

Reaction score
i am 21, drive a VW jetta 2.0L not fast, but reliable. pretty good gas milage. Would love a fast car to drive, but know I would get in trouble if I had one. At this point though, I am about to buy a $40,000 truck. Trucks are the way to go...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.