Just about to buy an eMac, I've got a few questions, Please help.

Reaction score
This is my first post here and I have a few questions about the Emac, running OSX Tiger

1) Will any keyboard and mouse work with it? ( Its comes with an ugly G3 Keyboard and Mouse)
2) How will I make it wireless, will a USB adapter work with it?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Yep pretty much any keyboard and mouse that is USB will work with it. Even two button mice. There are a few multi button mice too that are mac compatible. You can ditch the hockey puck.

There are USB adapters that allow your older mac to become wireless. I say old as that's what mine is doing :)
Link
http://www.afterthemac.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
This is my first post here and I have a few questions about the Emac, running OSX Tiger

1) Will any keyboard and mouse work with it? ( Its comes with an ugly G3 Keyboard and Mouse)
2) How will I make it wireless, will a USB adapter work with it?

Thanks.
If it is an eMac, then it should have come with the white Pro keyboard and mouse. The machine would be all white, have a G4 processor, and come with a 17" screen. Also, if it is an eMac, then you should be able to install an AirPort card (which one depends on the specs of your machine).

But, any USB keyboard and mouse will work.

If it is indeed an iMac, the same would apply, though you would definitely need the Original AirPort card to go wireless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Without the original keyboard and mouse and the way it is worded Tiger installed indicates no install DVD is supplied, makes it much less valuable. Also worry about that 'as is' clause.

You should be able to pick up a top 1.25GHz eMac from a dealer with warranty for about a hundred pounds or so?

Reaction score
Dealers don't generally do emacs or anything like that, afaik, in the uk anyway. I had a look about a while back and couldn't find any second hand mac dealers.

Reaction score
ebay in general i wouldn't consider a dealer because it isn't a constant supply of refurb macs

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Opps, did not look at the pic closely. That is an Apple Pro keyboard and not the iMac G3 one. They are very nice keyboards. Also the mouse is not a G3 iMac Puck mouse either. Looks like it might have a Scroll ball.

There is nothing wrong with that keyboard. I own one. The iMac ones are much smaller with no center area with the cursor keys.

Like DB said you need an Airport card and it will have internet WiFi. I just checked and the 1Ghz Emac takes an Airport Extreme card.

http://www.lowendmac.com/imacs/emac2.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
There is nothing wrong with that keyboard. I own one. The iMac ones are much smaller with no center area with the cursor keys.
Yeah, that's not an iMac keyboard. That is the full Pro Keyboard... granted it is the older style. Still, that keyboard was actually better than the style that replaced it, IMO. The mouse appears to be some generic style, but would work fine.

I would shy away from it though. No install discs included is not a good thing. Unless you plan on purchasing those separately, don't ever buy a computer new or used if it doesn't come with the necessary discs to restore or install the included software.

OP
I
Reaction score
I just ordered a 1.25 Ghz model for £150, and it comes with Photoshop, MS Office and loads of other stuff.
Thanks Anyway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Very nice the 1.25GHz and will take Leopard just fine.

One thing to be aware of is some early 1.25 eMacs, and other models also, had capacitor problems and there is an Apple warranty repair still available. Check this link out for the serial numbers and turn your baby upside down and see if it falls ino the numbers listed.

http://www.macuser.de/forum/archive/index.php/t-313871.html

Is so give Applecare or your reseller a buzz.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.