Hi from a new MacBook owner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0Ghz, 2nd gen iPod shuffle, 5th gen iPod nano
Hello, I've just bought myself a new macbook (after waiting for anything new at MacWorld), and I'm loving it. I've been reading these forums for a few months now, as it's something I was planning to buy for quite a while now.

Anyhoo, I've been downloading various apps from various sites, some for fun, some for actual university work, and I've come across something that's caused a problem. There's a certain application that I could do with having on my mac for drawing chemical structures. I have found the mac version installer and downloaded it, but it tells me that after downloading I am to reconvert with Binhex 4.0 then run the installer.

Now, I've spent about 2 hours trying to figure out how to do this, and I've tried using stuffit expander which ends up not getting me any further. Does anyone know what I'm meant to do, if I've missed something out, or is it just not going to work?

Reaction score
Welcome matty-j! There are a number of different ways to download and install applications. What is the application called?

OP
matty-j
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

It's MDL ISIS/draw, (mdli.com).

You have to register to be able to get to the downloads, but basically where you click the download link it says...

"NOTE: This version is no longer supported, but is still available for your use.

Reconvert with BinHex 4.0. Double-click on "ISIS 2.3 Draw Installer."

After it downloads I get the installer icon with a cross over it. I get "Safari can’t open the file “ISIS 2.3 Draw Installer” because no available application can open it." when I double click it.

Ahh, I've just found that it's format is .hqx so is this the problem?

OP
matty-j
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks,

I've tried stuffit expander, but not the Unarchiver. I will download and try it now.

Don't really understand why it won't work, when it seems that it should work perfectly fine. If it doesn't work with the unarchiver, then I'm not going to worry too much about it.

Maybe because the company has not supported the mac version for a few years now, then the download might be faulty.

Right, thanks to the Unarchiver, it has opened! But now it tells me that it cannot run as the Classic environment is not supported.

I take this to mean pre OS X, and so it will not run on OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
welcome to mac-forums, and congratulations on your new mac baby.

OP
matty-j
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the welcome kman445 :)

I have no idea if it's going to be intel supported as it was something they released way before macs went to intel. There is absolutely nothing on the download page apart from telling me it's a .hqx file and that they no longer offer support for the mac software downloads, but they're still available for use.

No matter, I knew there'd be some things I'd have to go back to my windows desktop for.

Thanks to all who replied.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.