Is it possible to swap harddrives from two different macs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bottom-of-the-line MacBook
I have a Macbook with a 120 gig HD. I'm hoping to get my wife a mac mini with an 80 gig HD. The two will be networked via a Time Capsule. I want to be able to run both OSX and Windows Vista (or XP) on the mac mini, and I'm afraid 80 gigs isn't gonna cut it. I want to have most media on the time capsule, but I don't want my wife to have to store everything non-locally.

Since I would be putting all my media on the time capsule (don't need it at school) I could do without the 120 gig HD in my computer. I'd like to put it in her computer and take her 80 gig HD.

I imagine it's not as easy as simply swapping them out. How do you recommend I juggle all this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
well as long as there the same type of drive i think they are then yes it is as simple as swapping them out.

i did this with a macbook pro and a macbook with no problems so should be fine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Back-up any data first

yes they will swap out (both are SATA drives)

You may find the the OS on each disk may not boot in the new machine, so be prepared with that back-up and a clean install from your macs install dvds

you could back up one only and use Migration assistant to clone data and settings across from the 80gig to 120gig (bac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.