• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Interesting Article: How to Afford Anything

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
How to Afford Anything
Ken Rockwell

People ask me how I afford all this camera stuff. Easy: I beg, borrow, and sometimes even buy it. I certainly don't still own everything I've reviewed here since 1999. I've also had real jobs for many years which pays for what I do buy, and I live like a hermit otherwise.

That's the easy answer, but then I realized that I've always had a knack for buying expensive toys long before I'd ever had a job. Hopefully my cheapskate tricks can help you, too, which is why I write this.

Our ability to buy expensive toys has nothing to do with how much money we do or don't earn. Like everything in life, it has everything to do with how well you use what you have.
Read on

A really nice and funny article. Must read for those who want to afford the new Macbook Air! :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
An interesting read, I have to disagree with the "don't have kids part though". Yes they are expensive, but my son is a straight "A" great kid, and my buddy. Is he expensive, at times yes, but so are a lot of other great things in life. Anyway, thanks for sharing this, the writer has a lot of good tips.

OP
goobimama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Sometimes I ask my folks why on earth did they have us. In my experience as being a kid, I've only found myself to be a drain on the resources, without which they would have lived a much more comfortable life.

"You won't understand why until you have kids" came the answer. Well, I'm assuming they are quite a joy to have, little 'you' running around the place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Nice. However If I enjoy driving cars instead of photography than I think that long drives are okay :)

My parents always told me that kids were expensive (while I was a kid)!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
Great find! Funny but with some really good insights.

k3s

Reaction score
I also sometimes question why my parents had me. My mother could have completed medical school and all if she did not have to take care of me. She could have made a better life for her, but i guess she made the desccion to keep me and put those dreams on hold. But anyways, great article, i usually afford everything i buy by waiting for December/January for Christmas and my birthday and ask for money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Some good advice there - like live within your means

He has a young son if you look at his site

Not sure how he ever had a successful date by not paying for anything

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Honestly, you can sum this up in a few sentences. Sit down and write down everything your really want in life and what is in your life just to get those things. Spend the least amount on the things that just get you to the things you really want and just use common sense when spending money. However, if you really love cameras, think living with your parents as long as possible is ok, and think children are the root of pollution and destruction, read the article. Otherwise this article does nothing for you. Some of it is ok, some of it doesn't makes sense.

Live with Your Parents

Seriously, freeloading on your parents??? Some tip. I guess this guy doesn't get embarrassed easily, or just really follows his own advice about not worrying about being embarrassed, because a grown man who can afford to live alone living with his parents is pretty freaking embarrassing!! If I tried to live with my parents but had the means to live on my own, my parents would kick me out in a minute.

But after reading that, I could better understand this part:

Don't Have Kids

I won't go here either. Not only are they scaldingly expensive, they are the root cause of all pollution and environmental destruction.

No wonder he feels that way. I think he should list these sections on kids and parent first, that way people who realize his priorities and perspectives on life are way off from the norm can stop reading, and those few who actually agree with this can read on.

Sell each camera as the better one arrives, and you also greatly reduce the cost of buying them.

Huh??? This contradicts not only common sense, but also things mentioned later on in the same article.

I was amazed at how much money I spent at restaurants, and I rarely ate out. It added up to hundreds of dollars every month, and I usually cooked for myself! Unless you're eating off the dollar menu at fast food (as I have always done), cook your own food!

Wow, when he "rarely" ate out, it must have been at some expensive places. But wait, he said he has always bought from the dollar menu at fast food places. Must have bought a lot of dollar items.

I enjoy my toys and expend considerable energy on their upkeep and finding them in the first place.

You have to consider the cost of your own time and expenses to do that.

Single guys: women don't give a crap what kind of car you have.

Really??? Seriously, I wouldn't want to be with a woman who does, but a woman isn't going to hook up with a guy driving a pinto and lives with his parents just because he leaves a 20% tip when 15% is considered bare minimum. Especially if that guy is still living with his parents!!

Tip big. When you get to apply for entrance into Heaven, your tipping records are among the first things reviewed. They are reviewed for Christian Heaven, and Hindu Karma, and probably every religion on earth.

Where does he get this inside info on how to get into heaven? Do they also have on their books the fact that you were a burden on your parents long after you should have been on your own?

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Thanks fleurya; I didn't even need to read the article. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.