The screen has no backlight, I can't see anything!

Reaction score
Hello,

So I'm having issues with this PowerBook G3 (Lombard). Recently I was on it and it froze and then the keyboard area started smelling REALLY bad so I unplugged it. Well i used it a couple of times after that, and then my brother went to use it and told me it wouldnt turn on. I checked it out and it did turn on,but the screen is black because there is no more backlight! I can barley make out the desktop. I have no idea how that happened, I hit the brightness key and that didn't help. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Tanner.

Reaction score
No backlight?

Sorry I can't offer a solution. I've just changed my HD and now I have the same no backlight problem - did you find a solution elsewhere?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
It may be the inverter board, which is responsible for the backlighting of the screens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2GHz 2GB RAM 120 GB HD 15" NVidia 8800MGT 128MB - iPhone 3G
The monitor might have just gone bad. I know I used to have an desktop LCD screen and after 5 years, the florescent tubes that back light the screen went out. Replacing them cost more than a new monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Backlight woes...

Hi,

I have a MBP and after a drop I experienced a similar thing with the backlight going on and off. Touch wood it's ok now. I found that with the laptop sitting infront of me, if I tapped the back of the screen on the lower right hand side it came back on (when the laptop is on and running).

If this fails, connect an external monitor in the mean time to get using it (if you need to) and search out repair costs from people. If you are competent at doing things like fixing it, try to source the screen and inverter and then chck out www.ifixit.com to see how to dissasemble and replace the faulty parts which are most likely going to be the screen and inverter. Unfortunately he backlights aren't sold seperately (as far as I'm aware).

I hope you get it resolved, I know it's a pain having the screen play up on a laptop. Mine is sitting as a desktop laptop right now as I am scared to move it incase the backlight completely goes.

Mel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.