An uncompress program besides StuffIt Expander?

Reaction score
I'm trying to open a sitx file but the last time I had stuffIt installed in my Macbook Pro (OS 10.4) it screwed up my Mac with windows randomly closing and other things. I was able to solve it by deleting Stuffit (which took 20 mins because of how many files it installed in my computer). But I can't find any other way to open most uncompressed files...especially sitx. Anyone know?

Or does anyone know if the programs i was having are now fixed? or experienced them and know a solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
that's a weird problem you've been having. I didn't have any problems like that when I used Stuffit. I've discovered that a number of people have been staying away from Stuffit since version 10 (or maybe 11...) because of the registration process it required before the download.

I have a feeling that the number .sitx files is dwindling now, in favour of formats such as .dmg

I now use The Unarchiver (freeware). I'm not entirely sure if it handles sitx files, but it should do everything else for you.

Reaction score
Download Stuffit's freebie, Stuffit Expander, from versiontracker.com or the like. I might be listed at Stuffit as Judge Crater.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.