just need to be able to open word files that are emailed to me!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" imac 4 gigs Patriot RAM
Will Iwork 08 do this? I have it installed but it doesn't seem to open word docs. Am I going to have to buy Office 08 for mac? If so will the student version be adequate?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
iWork Opens word documents...so i don't know whats going on...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The build in Text Edit is also able to open Word documents

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
What exact format are they? Is the extension .doc or .docx?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Why not save the e-mailed attachment to your desktop, click on it, and hit spacebar...opens it right up in QuickLook so you don't even need to open a program. If all you need to do is read these docs (no editing required), this is all you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
If you have MS Office on your computer, you should be able to open the file. I would say, try saving the file to your desktop and then right-clicking on it. Go to the 'Open With..' section and select MS Word.

That is... if you want to use MS Office. If not... I believe you can do the same thing with other applications. You can even set it up to be your default for all files of that type.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
lifeisabeach has asked an important question!

The latest and greatest:Smirk: Office version has a new file format (.docx) that even previous versions of Word can't open. Unbelievable? Perhaps.

If you are trying to open .docx files, I'm sorry. NeoOffice will be able to open them in the future, but for now Office 07 and Office Mac 08 users should Save As... .doc files to be able to communicate with the rest of us.

Reaction score

The latest and greatest:Smirk: Office version has a new file format (.docx) that even previous versions of Word can't open. Unbelievable? Perhaps.

If you are trying to open .docx files, I'm sorry. NeoOffice will be able to open them in the future, but for now Office 07 and Office Mac 08 users should Save As... .doc files to be able to communicate with the rest of us.

Uhh..

Actually, NeoOffice can already open .docx files. OpenOffice.org and NeoOffice were compatible with the Office 2007/8 formats even before the update came out for Office 2003/4 to be compatible with them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP
Actually I had some docx files and could not open them on a Windoze machine (XP SP2), but Textedit opened them with no probs - go figure!! That's Micros**t for you!

I would also recommend Neo Office - it is very cool, and free :)

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Uhh..

Actually, NeoOffice can already open .docx files. OpenOffice.org and NeoOffice were compatible with the Office 2007/8 formats even before the update came out for Office 2003/4 to be compatible with them.

:Oops: and :eek: !
Well, that didn't take long for NeoOffice...the future is here! :)

But Office 2003/4 are compatible by update? That is very surprising. I haven't heard about this. I was just at the Office site today and there wasn't any crowing about any updates. Probably don't want to dampen sales of 07/08. In fact, all the talk at work is, "Waa! We can't all open .docx files! We all need 07 on our computers!" Won't I be the hero? Is it a patch available from Microsoft's website, or only from within Word/Windows Update?

Reaction score
:Oops: and :eek: !
Well, that didn't take long for NeoOffice...the future is here! :)

But Office 2003/4 are compatible by update? That is very surprising. I haven't heard about this. I was just at the Office site today and there wasn't any crowing about any updates. Probably don't want to dampen sales of 07/08. In fact, all the talk at work is, "Waa! We can't all open .docx files! We all need 07 on our computers!" Won't I be the hero? Is it a patch available from Microsoft's website, or only from within Word/Windows Update?

From what I hear, it's pretty hard to find even on Microsoft's site. I'd assume you're right and they buried it so they can keep selling sales of '07/'08. You can download it here though:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA101686761033.aspx

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have had no issues here opening any Word .doc or Excel .xls file in iWork 08. I have never tried a .docx as I don't use that format. Will find one and see if it will open in iWork. As another user suggested, tell us more about the files you are trying to open.

I found some example .docx files on the net and downloaded them. They open fine in OSX's Textedit. Pages (iWork 08) would not open them.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Yes, we know that; we were talking about updates to the old 2003/4 Office to make it compatible with the 2007/8 formats without actually having to upgrade to the new version of Office.
sorry, did not completely understand the post that I was replying to...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.