• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Vhs > Dvd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 10.6.7 2.2Ghz.
Being somewhat of a newbie with a MacBook, how would I best transfer VHS tapes to DVD on my new laptop? What apps or programs are deemed best and what type of patchcords would be needed?:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Check out some hardware from Elgato called eyeTV. It let's you connect a coax cable to your Mac and has software to watch TV and record TV. Maybe you could somehow record with that.

Other than that, the only way I can think of off the top of my head is to get a DVD player with recording capability and connect your VCR and the DVD player to your TV. Then just play the cassette and record it on the DVD. That's probably the cheapest route to take. I've done this with a couple personal video recordings on VHS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, 2GB RAM, 2.2Ghz, 160GB HD. 160GB Ipod Classic. 16GB iphone 3GS. Red 2G Shuffle.
Other than that, the only way I can think of off the top of my head is to get a DVD player with recording capability and connect your VCR and the DVD player to your TV. Then just play the cassette and record it on the DVD. That's probably the cheapest route to take. I've done this with a couple personal video recordings on VHS.

I didn't know it was as simple as that - I might get my dad to try that as he's looking at ways of converting all the family vids onto DVD!

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 10.6.7 2.2Ghz.
Hey! Youse guys is wonderful. Ask and Ye shall learn ... in a hurry.
Thanks a bunch!:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was indicating that VHS was better than DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking different... iMac, Macbook, iPod Touch, 10.5 - Leopard
Check out some hardware from Elgato called eyeTV. It let's you connect a coax cable to your Mac and has software to watch TV and record TV. Maybe you could somehow record with that.

This works great, it is how I do it. Hook up the VHS to the eyeTV, play the vhs in your eyeTV and record it like you do a regular tv show (eyeTV works like tivo), once it is recorded click the transfer to iPod or apple tv button

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.