Opinion: Is the extra $100 for the 16gb worth

Reaction score
it? I'm trying to decide. Can i just sync more often with 8gb or is the 16gb just a must for you?

Thanks - please help me decide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It really boils down to how much media you have. I have around 30-40GB in music and potentially terabytes worth of movies. So 16GB would be good for me as I wouldn't have to sync as often, which is something I often find myself doing with my 8GB iPhone.

If you have a lot of media and want to carry around a good portion of it and not have to sync that often, then get the 16GB. Otherwise, go with the 8GB. Either way, you'll be happy with your purchase. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
It really boils down to how much media you have. I have around 30-40GB in music and potentially terabytes worth of movies. So 16GB would be good for me as I wouldn't have to sync as often, which is something I often find myself doing with my 8GB iPhone.

If you have a lot of media and want to carry around a good portion of it and not have to sync that often, then get the 16GB. Otherwise, go with the 8GB. Either way, you'll be happy with your purchase. :D

Kash has it exactly right. If you have more media than you can fit on 8 GB, it is probably worth it just to avoid having to manually manage which of your media you place onto the device and which you don't.

Believe me, as soon as Apple brings out a 16 GB Nano, which I am hoping for in the next year, I will purchase one. I have about 12 GB of media, and since that will not fit on any current Nano, it means I have to manually manage what goes on and off the device. Ditto for my 8 GB iPhone. I am looking very forward to both devices bumping up to 16 GB. For me, that will be a compelling repurchase event.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
ive learned to "manage" with only 8gb on the iphone.

if i had the choice between 8gb and 16gb, id probably go for the 16gb, just so i could have 1500+ songs, and movies on the device. Right now, i just have 1500 songs on the iphone, and thats all i really have room for besides the iphoto library.

my vote: 16gb, if you have the 100$ and dont wanna 2nd guess yourself later.

Reaction score
16GB - Worth it - -> and more, please apple...

Reason I did not buy the iPhone is that i considered 8GB to small.

I mean, why would I want to carry the iphone and another mp3 player if iPhone offers an MP3 player? But 8GB is not enough for me.

I'm waiting for the 16 or 32 GB version to show up to buy my iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
i had a very happy 80gb 5g ipod that well broke and is now dead but i looked at how much i used it and got an iphone to replace it yes i would have liked more space but 8gb is really a lot of music i dident really use it for films unless i was going a long way so 8gb is plenty for me as i just use it trips on the bus and walking about and stuff.

i dont think i ever needed to carry 80gb of music with me but its nice to have more space

Reaction score
160gb isn't enough for me.
Apple need to bring out a 250gig ipod (maybe more to give me more future expansion space, preferably a touch or an iphone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
with movies being on ipods/phones now, 8gb is real limiting.

8gb of music is enough for most for sure though. theres no real need to carry 10000 songs with you, youll only listen to about 1000 of them :)

i have a smart playlist shuffle, and update what hasnt played in more than a week, keeps fresh stuff on the pod always.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
with movies being on ipods/phones now, 8gb is real limiting.

8gb of music is enough for most for sure though. theres no real need to carry 10000 songs with you, youll only listen to about 1000 of them :)

i have a smart playlist shuffle, and update what hasnt played in more than a week, keeps fresh stuff on the pod always.

I made the mistake and bought the 4G iPhone. Meh, it was all I could afford. I just took all of the music off of it and load it full of movies (about 4). Then use my 4G nano for music. ugh, so much for a device (iPhone) that can do movies and music instead of carrying 2 devices around.

it? I'm trying to decide. Can i just sync more often with 8gb or is the 16gb just a must for you?

Thanks - please help me decide.

I would suggest the 16g. There are rumors of a 32g. I wish I had a 160g Classic to use when I go on road trips.

Reaction score
If you are already spending that much money, might as well double the capacity for a little bit more $$$?

edit: unless there is no way you would use that extra capacity.

.jb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16GB Black iPhone 3G | 13" Black Macbook 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD @ 7200rpm
8GB really is limiting

i was going to get the 8GB but then i got the 16GB and im glad i did

i have all 9GB of my music on there now and i still have enough room for movies and such. definitely worth the extra $$ imo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
it would be nice if there was a 16gb iphone i would have gone for that

moves depending how compressed can be down to about half a gig

8gb will do but i think its only $100 get the 16gb or you will end up always wanting it especial the first time you fill your ipod

.jb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16GB Black iPhone 3G | 13" Black Macbook 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD @ 7200rpm

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.