Computer won't start after installing Leopard

Reaction score
Hi There!

I'm new to the forum and I thought I might be able to get some help from those more knowledgeable than I.

I have a iMac 1.6 GHz PowerPC G5 w/ 768mb of ram. I recently installed MAC OS X Leopard and now if my computer is shut down (through the Apple Menu or my shut down scheduler) it will not start up when I press the power button in the back.

I end up having to unplug and re-plug the power cord from the back of the computer several times, trying the power button each time. Eventually it will give me that miraculous white glow and boot up.

Anyone know what might be causing this? If I never put the computer to sleep or shut it down it's fine, but I can't just leave it on forever! :Oops:

Thanks for any help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP
There are threads here which suggest that very thing, that you leave the Mac on all the time - but that is not a solution to your problem.

I don't know what could be causing this but someone with more expertise willl be along in a few minutes no doubt.

Hi There!

If I never put the computer to sleep or shut it down it's fine, but I can't just leave it on forever! :Oops:

Thanks for any help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
How did you install Leopard? Many reports of problems with upgrade and archive and install. Clean install with format of the hard drive seems much more reliable.

Have you upgraded to X.5.1 as yet?

For starters boot from the install DVD, go to Utilities and run Repair Disk and see what that reports. if all okay run Repair Permissions from there ~ be patient takes about twenty minutes or so.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If they are pushing the Power Button on their iMac G5 and it will not even turn on, that is not an OS issue but a problem with the iMac itself. The early iMac G5's like the OP's did have issues with power supplies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Very true about the G5's but lets try Harry's idea with the Disk Utility. Do the permissions test first then do the disk repair and come back to us.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks!

I will try the clean install today or tomorrow when I have a little time and let you know how it goes.

At the same time I upgraded to Leopard (10.5.1) I also installed hard memory, so maybe i messed up the power supply somehow when I took the casing off. Hopefully it's just something simply, like my cord is kinked and I can replace the power cord!

Thanks for all your responses!!

M

MacHeadCase

Just wanted to say: welcome to Mac-forums, serialkitten.

Cute avatar, btw!

Oh and good luck with your reinstall. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.