What can Mac offer me (as a Web Developer) that XP can't?

M57

Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently thought about getting a Macbook and switching to mac. However, since macbooks are pretty expensive here, I thought of taking my time to think about it.

Since:
1. I run a stable XP with minimum crashes (have been using the same installation for more than 2 years).

2. NOD32 Anti-virus takes care pretty much of every virus with minimum footprint.

3. I already have the development tools I need and work smoothly.

Then why would mac be better for me as a web developer?

I hope you don't see this as a troll. I honestly want to know why someone like me would consider a mac when my XP does the job just fine?

Your help is much appreciated. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.06GHz 4Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD; 16Gb iPhone (white); Aluminium MacBook, 2.4Ghz, 4Gb, 500 Gb HDD
I'd say if you're happy with your lot and don't want to pay any more for a Mac, stick with what you have.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You don't say what software tools you use, or where "here" is

For a start you have apache web server built into the OS

Dreamweaver and flash work on the mac and you can cross grade if you use those apps under XP

You might have to set your monitors gamma to 2.2 (windows) from 1.8 (Mac - macs are set up for graphics / printing calibration)

You will not have any issues with viruses or spyware

All the technology and a modern OS, without the bloatware that is Vista

You can create PDFs from the operating system without having to buy acrobat

A machine that is a joy to use, requires minimal upkeep, and you can run XP to test your sites in IE - hey - you get the only machine on the planet that can run so many OS's - giving you more choice

... and also, I assume you are outside of the states - with the weak dollar you may be able to source a mac on ebay and save yourself a bit of money

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Coda! :)

(Also a great platform with built-in Apache, great hardware that integrates seamlessly with the software being run on it, the option of running all 3 major OS's simultaneously, built-in Ruby, Python & Java support etc. etc..)

The bottom line: Both OS's can get the job done. If you're interested in trying out something new that a lot of people would never consider leaving - check out a Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.