XP and Adobe Creative Suite ??

Reaction score
Hi - Which level of Windows XP -- Pro or Home to be used with parallels desktop would be sufficient? i always got the xp pro version due to the increased security, however, i've read that the security is much better with macs. will probably go with parallels desktop.

also - is 2.4ghz processor acceptable for the adobe creative suite apps?

it'll be used on a secured home network and standalone.

any input would be helpful. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
If you are connecting the Virtual PC-running Windows to the Internet, whether through Parallels or not, you run into the same security risks as a PC user. If you are used to XP Pro, then get XP Pro.

Adobe apps will run perfectly fine on a 2.4 machine. Just make sure you get CS3, as it is a Universal app and will run natively on the newer Intel processors. If you get CS2 and a new Mac, Adobe apps will run under Rosetta emulation at non-optimal speeds.

Also, try to get a Mac with a dedicated gfx card (i.e. NOT a regular MacBook) if you plan on doing a ton of work with Adobe apps. The extra gfx horsepower will go a long way.

OP
margaret438
Reaction score
i'm sorry snoslicer8, i'm technologically-challenged plus i do not know anything about adobe creative suite, other than my daughter will probably need it and it'll be cs3.

i'm looking at the MacBook Pro at the apple website. will this have the gfx card needed, or should i plan on an add-on?

sorry and thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
The MacBook Pro line all have dedicated GFX cards (NVIDIA). The base model 15" has a 128 MB card, and the higher 15" and 17" models have 256 MB cards.

The iMacs and Mac Pros all have dedicated GFX cards.

The MacBook line (NOT MacBook Pro) all have integrated GFX, so they slow down a bit when running GFX intensive apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, AOL has a Mac version of their software. It should be available from (yep, you guessed it) AOL.com.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW, are you speaking of the AOL software, like get online/do e-mail/web-browsing, or are you talking about AOL Instant Messenger (AIM chat)? If you're speaking of AIM, Macs come with iChat, their native AOL IM software, and you can also download a multi-system IM client for free called Adium. The actual AOL IM software FROM AOL is quite poor compared to the available alternatives, IMO.

OP
margaret438
Reaction score
thanks for the info. at this point, i'm just trying to 'replace' her dead pc with the mac. daughter uses aol (the version you pay for) that includes IM. i'm trying to figure out what her needs will be so we purchase the appropriate mac. the only thing i have settled on is that it needs to be a laptop/notebook and needs to be as seamless as possible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.