one 2.8 or two 2.8?

Reaction score
I've considered to buy the new MP for weeks, and finally come down to choose one 2.8 or two.

I use MP for daily activity, photo editing and potential video editing for my families later and windows.

I want to eliminate the possibility of switching to iMac, even I know iMac will satisfy me too.

Is it worth to add the other processor now for $400+ extra or get it later(same as memory strategies)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I'm not so sure you can get a 2nd cpu later as they make the mother boards for one or two or whatever when they make your MP. I think someone else will more more about this as I'm only going off what I heard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
For $400, I would think it is a good investment. Even if today's software doesn't make use of all 8 cores, tomorrow's may. This is very much related to the $400 number. If that number was, say, $800, my advice would be different, but for $400, you may as well max out your MP for the best future use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Just like I tell everyone else, get the most machine you can afford.

Reaction score
I dunno, I'm wrestling with this now, and leaning towards one CPU.

The thing is, I'm fairly confident a quad-core will be plenty for my needs, for now (the only computationally-demanding software I'd be running is Logic Pro, and even then, I don't expect to get too crazy with softsynths & effects etc). I'm not into 3D rendering, or video editing, or even heavy-duty Photoshop.

I figure by the time I outgrow a quad-core AND by the time there's more software that can actually use eight cores, that'll be like 3+ years from now, and by then it'll be time to think of a newer MacPro regardless. (interfaces always change... there'll be USB 3.0, and who knows what else... updated SATA, PCIe, firewire standards, etc. etc. etc.). So why spend $400 on something that'll give me close to zero benefit for quite some time? Normally I agree that one should get the best computer you can afford, but... four cores already seems more than plenty.

Am I wrong? Is there lots of software that can already use 8 cores?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I would go one CPU and use the $400 for extra HDD's. As you say, by the time there is enough software out there to justify the 2nd CPU you can buy it then for a fraction of the current $400 or upgrade the whole shebang.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.