Trying to share a printer

Reaction score
Here's the deal:

I have a IBook G4 and a Dell desktop, and a Dell notebook. I have networked all files and we can access each other just fine. I have a printer (HP Photosmart 6280) that i have installed on the Dell desktop. I shared it and i can printer wirelessly from the Dell notebook just fine. So now i'm trying to setup the IBook G4 to print.

Here's what i did thus far:

I went to printer setup utility>add printer>more printers. Then i changed it to Windows printing, then i clicked on my network name and computer name. Then i clicked on the printer. I changed the Printer Model from generic to HP. then chose the photosmart 6200 series as model name. (there isn't a gimp driver for this. I don't know if that is useful information or not). Anyway then i clicked on add.

So now when i try to print a document, it goes through, I see it go through to the desktop. If i go to printers in Windows, there is a 0 there letting you know that there isn't a job being printed. When i print from the mac it changes to a 1 briefly and then back to zero. The mac says it printed successfully but the HP printer doesn't spit anything out.

Any ideas??

thanks for the advice/help

OP
J
Reaction score
i appreciate that walkthrough, but is there not an easier way to print. This is a brand new printer, and i would think there is a simple step to get this to work. That walkthrough has alot of configuring.

I will give that walkthrough a shot if there isn't another way. So i'm hoping there is another way ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Did you not find an easier method in the second link?

I personally share my printer by plugging the printer into the USB port on my router. Easiest way by far.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.