Help - Problem with updates!

Reaction score
Hi folks. New iMac convert/user here (disclaimer! :) ). I just installed the latest Quicktime and iTunes updates and now my Mac is having serious performance issues. The mac takes a really long time to boot up, shut down, open programs, acknowledge mouse clicks, etc. I get the colorful pinwheel and it takes forever for actions to happen. It seems like something is just sucking the memory out of the computer.

Did anyone else have this problem and if so, how do I fix this? By the way, I'm still on Tiger if that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hmmm... I'd be concerned that the update didn't go well, obviously. I'd try running some maintenance utilities to see if that helps. Pick up Onyx and run through the full set and see how that helps.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried booting up in safe mode and it seems to be running OK when I do that. Can I download programs in safe mode? If so, I think I'll try that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've not tried myself, but give it a try. Worst that can happen is it won't download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I don't think you get any network services in safe mode

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yah, louis is probably right. If you can't get ahold of any utilities, try creating a new user and see if you continue to have troubles. If you don't, then reply back and we can go from there.

OP
P
Reaction score
I ended up using my OS X install disc and reloaded OS X. I used the option to save the existing profile and now everything seems to be working again. It was a PITA but I'm back up and running now. I'm still not sure what happened during that update though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.